Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

Today marks the fourth or fifth time, since ownership of 9 months, I have been almost ran off the road, cut-off, screamed at, cussed out because I own a Smart.

The reason why I am starting this thread is to let all of you, traveling, visiting, etc...be aware of the ignorant, angry, lunatic, self-absorbed ******* drivers we encounter here in Indy day by day.

As I was on my lunch break from work, I work on Monument circle, I decided to take the car back home to Greenwood to cook up some quick food. On my way back, I followed a construction F350 diesel truck in traffic from my apartment to where US-135, Old South Meridian) splits into two lanes. At that point, I went to pass him because I was trying to get back to work on time as he was doing 10mph below the speed limit. As I sped up, he cut me off, drove down the middle of the road, as well as kept swerving with no turn signals to keep me from passing him. Ready to turn, he swerved at me one again forcing me to swerve into the shoulder.

When we got downtown, I decided to turn to the garage for work where he blew a red light to follow me and demanded I roll down my window. As I grabbed my .45 handgun from the glovebox and placed it in my lap, he rolls down his window, with his wife with him, he continues to call me obscenities, cuss me out, and verbally threatening my car all because I passed him in a smart car and he didn't like it. I might of followed him too close for his liking, but our cars have no front end, our view of the road is different from the average driver. :eek:

As I told him he was truely messing with the wrong person and that his next actions would be permanently change his life, the light turned green, he sped off with his middle finger hanging out the window. I then called the police's non-emergency line and told them the license plate number and emailed them a picture of his truck with his face to hopefully have him arrested for aggravated, road rage, assault.

(Don't know if that's the formal terms or not, but eh...close enough).

All in all, some days I truely feel not safe driving my car around Indianapolis just because it's a Smart car and how society views them, NOT becuase of any 'Physics Laws' or 'how small the car is to be squished' or 'it can roll over easy'.

Today pushed the limit for me and I'm truely thinking of trading in my lease to get a different car, what your thoughts and opinions? This city is horrible for arrogance.

Any other Indy drivers out there? If so, how are your cruises? :confused:

----

As part of this road rage goes to my car being customized, I do plan on removing most of the customaztion to make it appear more stock and hope to god that reduces the amount of incidents I am involved with.

Make sense?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Never surrender.

I've dealt with people like that for four years, who let their insecurities dictate their responses. If I had a nickel for every ******* who refused to let a small car pass his 4WD gas-guzzler... Well... I'd have a lot of nickels.

So what? It's *MY* car. You did pretty much exactly what I'd've done in your circumstances... Kept your cool, prepared for an ugly ending... You did it textbook. I'd've just had a different caliber of "insurance" is all. Well done.

Let the Indy cops deal with it from here. If they gave you a report number from your phone call today, call them in a few days and follow up. Don't let this ******* off the hook; he's obviously too psychotic to be allowed loose on the public thoroughfares.

(and yes; although I'm from Michigan, I too have had an encounter or two of the unattractive kind in Your Fair City... Up in Fishers, near the Fry's store, to be precise.)

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's the same all over my friend!

The smart commands attention, whether it's good or bad it gets it.

I drive a 97 Pathfinder, and my smart to work for the past 2 and a half years.
There are at least 5 commuters that will harass the smart but if I present the rear-end of my Pathy they gladly let me in. I commute with my wife so there is no room for childish games but don't get me wrong, every time I see one of the smart haters and I'm in Pathy, I make a point to have my wife take note of the difference in attitude.

2 days ago I had a full sized p-up on my ass in 30 MPH traffic. I just pulled over to the next lane to let him go but he dropped back, so I just stayed in my lane until I needed to get over for a left turn and...

Fkn p-up farted out a huge diesel cloud and came charging in! But, I was not staying in that lane for long, I was crossing over it to get to a left turn lane. So right about the time he was back on my ass, I was dipping out of the lane to the turn lane.

What happened next?

Truck drivers middle finger out the window!

So yeah man, I understand. I use to get out of cars when this kind of thing happened, but now I just roll to the side of the road and let them keep on going. Sometimes they slow down while they look in the mirror trying to see what your doing, but most of the time they continue on. They would have to have pretty bad judgement to come back to a parked car, and at that point you can just sit and wait for his life changing decision to take place right in front of you. Preferable with a dash cam running.

If you notice, it's all about interfering in the route of the smart. They slow down and swerve all over so you don't pass, they speed up to push you along faster then they will go after passing you.

Keep your smart and a smile on while you drive.
My friends always told me I looked pissed when I was driving. I think that's why I dealt with some of the same incidents you have when I first got my smart. Now I try to remember to smile when I'm in it and I have had 10 compliments for every negative incident since then.

Good luck my friend!

Oh, one more thing. Use it to your advantage. You know it's going to happen so now you can use you newly acquired Jedi skill to trigger other drivers to speed up or slow down.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Not an unknown problem...have had a similar experience on the highway somewhere near the IN/IL border. I changed the wink sign on the back of the car to an American flag and haven't had the problem since. I have had a ton of thumbs up signs from people that like the car.
Some have had problems with young "trucker" kids combined with alcohol (especially from a fellow smartie in Arkansas) on this forum who was run off the road a few times.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Had a semi try to mess with me one night, I called the cops who never did show up. when they finally did, I gave them a picture of the offending truck off my camera phone as it was barreling down on me. Of course they did absolutely nothing even tho they knew who it was.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Don't let the idiots make your life choices for you. You will regret it. Smile, move on, and enjoy life. You only get one shot at it.

Keep that .45 handy just in case it gets too ugly. It's amazing how quickly they change their tune when faced with the business end of that thing.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
While I too live in the Denver area, my drives are usually j/a free, and I drive 62 miles round trip for my commute - from north Denver to the south and back again. But I also sport Air Force plates, so who knows. But never helped me with the speed tickets.

I can only suggest a front and rear "dashcam" to document these idiots, then post them to web and the authorities.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst. I made the mistake of driving to a more rural area of Washington at a little after 2 a.m. to bring my girlfriend lunch on the night shift.

I was followed around by a busted old farm truck, dangerously close with bright lights on. Like you, I am a concealed carry permit holder, and like you, I had my pistol on my lap. I carry a glock 26 in the pocket to the left of the steering wheel. It's almost in my hand as I drive. I also have a MP5 mag pouch with 3 33rnd mags velcroed under the passenger side dash. They dropped back when we got to the nearest civilization.

When dealing with road rage. you have to remember that everything you do is going to annoy or empower them. If he's not letting you pass, stop trying. If someone is riding your ass, do not react. They will become embarrassed by their own behavior. It takes a little time, but they will give up.

Please don't actually shoot anyone, unless you really are afraid they will kill you. You can recover from a beating a lot faster than a lawful shooting. Avoidance is really the best option.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Agree 100%. In my case, a semi passed me on a 2 lane road doing about 65 (55 zone) and nearly took off the front of my car as he came back into the lane. I slowed down to allow him back over (he slowed down too) he then slowed down to a crawl and blocked the road, Both lanes and stopped. at that time I was on the phone to the police. I tried going around on the right side and he tried to drive me into the ditch, well off the paved road. Once I passed him he was on my rear bumper like dust on a Smart car... 15 min later after high speeds to get away and running 2 red lights (all while talking to Police dispatcher on the phone) still no police showed up. I finally got to a Quick Trip convenience store and pulled in (usually there are Police there late at night) and he went on his way. I needed gas anyhow so as I was filling up, LEO decided to show up a good 15 min after it was over.

First and only time it has happened in 4 years. As posted, just get away and let the cops handle it (if they ever show up) unless it is coffee and donut time...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I doubt very much the mods had anything to do with it. You are giving way to much credit to the bozos. It will happen just because it's a smart.
That just may depend, Stretch.

I live in the most conservative city in one of the most conservative states in the union. Every year a survey reports the most conservative university student body in the country, and the one located here is always at the top of the list -- thousands of young macho kids, most driving pickemup trucks, many with a huge bumper cage added in front, with an inordinate number of duallies. Our population of university students is very close to the number of residents who are not students. :eek:

While these college kids often frighten me the way they drive, I had not experienced "road rage" directed at Munchkin until I recently applied a couple of "HILLARY" stickers on her rear window. Now I am routinely saluted by a raised middle finger, which I am sure means "The smart is number 1." :D

I must admit that my son, who is on the university staff, tells me that the typical resident of my home town, including the students, sees "Hillary," but reads "In your face!" Which I must admit is probably true. :wink:

I must say that I am confident that the "rage" little Munchkin inspires is not directed at her, but rather at Hillary.

The good news is, so far no slashed tires.

Jim

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.