Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I just bought a nice looking yellow 2008 Smart Car. I notice the red Air Bag on the dash is always on.
Is this normal? Love the car, it's a 2nd car for us retired folk. I'm looking forward to adding miles to the already 90K that's on it. I did all the filters, spark plugs and oil change. This was done with help from utube. This dash light is the only question I have so far.

Many thanks in advance.
Ned C:

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :) The owners manual explains it; the passenger seat air bag is only active when there's sufficient weight on the seat.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great Welcome:
The red light on the dash is in addition to the overhead light saying the passenger is not present?
Again Thanks
Ned

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE
I found other threads dating back to 2013 with others having the same issues. Looks like a trip to the dealer is needed. Shame its about 90 miles away. Can't get there now with the snow flying. Have to wait for much better weather.
thanks jwright for getting back.
Ned

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
The red light on the dash is a different story. That means there's a problem with the SRS somewhere and will take a smart dealer to clear. I assume the warning light on the dash wasn't there when you bought the car? Has anything been put under the seats or have the seats been moved as far as they will go? It may be a loose wiring connector causing the light.:)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Check passenger seat belt. I had pulled the handle to forward the seat back and it had caused the belt to “lock” like in an accident to hold one in place. Once I found the locked belt and released the tension light went off. I had already scheduled a dealer appointment and cancelled....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts