Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2015 model that has had a front end collision. The front body panels don't indicate too hard of a hit. And the body panels look to be easy to replace.

But all of the front air bags went off. How hard and expensive is replacing all of them?

Is there also any thing else that I really need to be looking for?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My smart was written off as totaled without a single bag going off. I recommend looking at purchasing a different one.

Can you justify not getting one with intact airbags? (There was a free Mercedes listed on a forum once. My wife didn’t like it even so, sadly).

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
try running the A/C on high and see if there is any noise from the front cooling fan. Looks like it was it down at the bumper and lower which could easily damage the header and break the fan mount.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
The car Doesn’t look like it’s in that bad of shape. Only drivers side air bag employed. Airbag is easy to replace. Does that car, have a salvage title. It has leather, navigation. Pick it up cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it these cars are smart enough to know that no one is in the passenger seat so only the drivers side air bags go off?

They are not asking a lot for it. I just have to figure out if all of the repairs are worth it.

I don't know yet about the title. Communication with the seller is spotty. He only speaks Spanish and I only speak English. We chatted for a little over the phone using his brother to interpret, but it was spotty. The rest of the communications have been using PM on Facebook and Google translate to copy and paste messages.

The car is a two and a half hour drive away. So I haven't gone to look at it yet.

The input from you guys here is very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Looks like the wiper arms are missing too I would proceed with extreme caution unless the price is very low...You might be wishing you had a STARR computer

No glove box door.. maybe a car2go model??

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,914 Posts
Unless this MY15 smart (Car2Go?) salvage vehicle is really cheap - this could quickly become a money pit.

Driver side airbag and knee bags have deployed, navi looks suspect and there is no ignition switch?

Unless your mechanical skill goes beyond changing a tire, run from this salvage "parts car."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good catch on the ignition switch. I did not see that.

FIY I have been involved in drag racing, driving, engine building, etc since I was old enough to drive. But I am new to Smart Cars.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Unless this MY15 smart (Car2Go?) salvage vehicle is really cheap - this could quickly become a money pit.

Driver side airbag and knee bags have deployed, navi looks suspect and there is no ignition switch?

Unless your mechanical skill goes beyond changing a tire, run from this salvage "parts car."
Expensive and proprietary parts could make this a money pit indeed. You can find so many running cheap smarts is it really worth the effort?

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts

Two spoke wheel, navi, leather, no glovebox? Definitely a crashed Car2Go.

I'd say if it's any more than $1,000 or $2,000, run from it. Car2Go smarts aren't a whole lot in good condition, let alone sans front end, airbag, and ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,914 Posts
That looks like a pre-2013/pre-LCI front.
Good point 'cept the C2G smarts were often cobbled together from left over pieces and parts? It does have the BIG chicken head in the grill though???

OP should call the seller and ask him to start the car so he can hear it running - now that's not happening!!! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Ouch!1 key switch being gone means you will need to connect to a STARR to get it to work again. I would walk away unless they are giving it to you for next to free. Make sure it runs and they start it and it goes forward and reverse!!

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
That front valence is weirding me out. The grille surround/fog light inserts look like both the 2013 revision and the earlier years at the same time (!!!). Has anyone removed the lower grille on a 2013+ car? Is it just an overlay or something?

I've seen another wrecked 2015 (and it was a cabrio) that had a broken body colour valence that looked exactly like this one, so it's not just a Car2Go thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help fellows!

The seller is asking $2,300 for it, by the way.

But he won't or can't answer my questions about it. I know he doesn't speak English much at all, so that could be the problem. But he can't tell me if it is a salvage or clear title. If it is in his name or not. Or if it even starts and runs (probably not since it is missing the ignition switch).

So I am going to walk away from this one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just pulled the whole cradle (engine, tranny etc) from a 2008 that had a very bad head on.
It is truly amazing to find the many little (and Big) things that were broken.
For example the aluminum drivers side transmission mount was broken, not a big deal until I realized the entire corner of the (cast iron) transmission was broken off!
Sometimes ya just never know on a wrecked auto!
Personally I'd say it looks like a $500.00 ish car for spare parts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts