Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Freon (R12)has not been used in cars since the 1990's. They all now use R134a. So not sure if can't put refrigerant in at all or if you are trying to put in R12. R12 and R134 have different connectors.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The high pressure side has a higher pressure than in the can so it won't go in the system. If the system isn't running, the sides will equalize in pressure. I have seen some charging connectors with bad valves on them and where they are marked open and closed wrong -if it has a manual valve built into the connector that plugs into the car system

·
Registered
30 Posts
The high pressure side has a higher pressure than in the can so it won't go in the system. If the system isn't running, the sides will equalize in pressure. I have seen some charging connectors with bad valves on them and where they are marked open and closed wrong -if it has a manual valve built into the connector that plugs into the car system

you're right, the engine needs to be running with the a/c on so that the low pressure side pressure is low enough that the Freon can get out of the can.. :D

AND, don't put too much in... you really need a gauge to see low much you have in the system and when you have enough...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
pressure will depend on ambient air temp. and Freon is a generic reference to refrigerant, which on newer cars is R-134a. Too much will cause problems and could blow out seals. The charging ports are a bit buried and on my smart, interfered with each other. i ended up using the connectors without the manual valves on them, couldn't open the valves when in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts