Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 2013 passion coupe two weeks, but it's already spent most of the second week at the dealers waiting for a new AC compressor and fuse to be ordered and installed in the car. The service department said there was a defective part that caused the problem. They gave me a loaner while my car was in for service. I picked up the car late this afternoon and the AC seemed to work fine for about a 15 minutes, and now it's back to working sporadically again. I'm frustrated as I love my new Smart, but what's up with the AC??? Anyone else have this kind of problem. The car has a whopping 800 miles on it so far. :(

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I think it's unusual, you dealer seems to be using the trial and error method of troubleshooting. It should be repairable.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
if it quits pushing cold air move the temp control all the way up then back down. if it starts pushing cold air it could be the temp sensor in the foot well or the temp controler

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it quits pushing cold air move the temp control all the way up then back down. if it starts pushing cold air it could be the temp sensor in the foot well or the temp controler
I tried that, but unfortunatly it didn't work. I got very hot air when I moved the temp control all the way up, but when I brought it back down to 70 and lower I just got air blowing, but not cold at all. The air feels the same weather the temp control is set at 70 or 60. Just no cold air coming out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my AC problem. Well almost another whole week my new little smart has been in the shop and now they are replacing the fuse box as they are sure it's an electrical problem. The dealer says it's rather a simple system, so he feels pretty positive this will solve the problem. I'm being patient, but I've only owned the car 3.5 weeks and two of those weeks have been spent with my smart back at the dealers. On the positive side, each time they give me a loaner with a full tank of gas, so at least I have something to drive and I've spent no money on gas the past two weeks. I just want my smart back with the AC working.:rolleyes:

·
He's not mine
9,611 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with a NEW car. That sucks!

I hope they get it straightened out soon.

Keep records of this, every visit and every result. Keep the paperwork.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Make sure they check the temp sensor in the passenger side foot well in the vent box !!!

Many have just cleaned it and reinstalled ..... FIXED :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Make sure they check the temp sensor in the passenger side foot well in the vent box !!!

On an 800 mile total new car? That should not need to be cleaned! I tell ya what, if they keep having problems with it, you ca alway demand a new car by quoting the lemon laws. There should not be any reason a new car that you bought new off the lot has this kind of problem.

Of course, my argument goes out the window if you bought a used 2013 smart :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On an 800 mile total new car? That should not need to be cleaned! I tell ya what, if they keep having problems with it, you ca alway demand a new car by quoting the lemon laws. There should not be any reason a new car that you bought new off the lot has this kind of problem.

Of course, my argument goes out the window if you bought a used 2013 smart :)
I intend to keep all of the paper work. If it doesn't work after this go round we will be contacting the dealer for sure. Yes, it's a "new" 2013. I love the car, but this whole thing has made me a little gun shy about this particular car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The service department put a new AC compressor in the first go round, and this time they are putting in a new SAM (fuse box) in this time. The service department feels fairly confident that this will fix the problem since according to them, "It's a pretty basic system." Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
........."The dealer says it's rather a simple system".....
Simple my eye!!!!!

The A.C. controller has and stores codes that can only be read by THEIR Star computer as this controller is communicating thru the CAN Buss local area network. Hardly simple, and then add in the complexities of a pressurized gas/working fluid heat exchange system, and they describe it as simple?!!!
It takes someone with real knowledge and working experience, especially working with the effective but tiny system of the smart. When it is working properly, it is great. When it is not, it is NOT easy to troubleshoot, star or no star!
There are so many variables, including relative humidity and length of time the unit has been operating, speed, and settings......ad infinitum.
Keep that lemon law primer handy and maybe the phrase, "Let's save us both a lot of time and money by avoiding the introduction of my Lemon Law attorney, then you can trouble shoot to your hearts' content." :D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Todays mechanics are expert at replacing things; all of which are billed. However, they are not good at thinking, which is beyond their pay grade. So, replace and replace some more until the damned thing works. Now, your car has a history, which might just become available when you want to trade for a new one. They delivered a defective product. Return it!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
p.s. the SAM is hardly only a fuse box!!!!!!!
If it were only a fuse box, it wouldn't have to be programmed with the VIN number, to both key fobs, the speedometer pod and the engine control unit and maybe more. :p
It is the MASTER of your smart universe.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Hi Dana...this kind of intermittent electrical (A/C) problem can be frustrating for the vehicle owner...and the service department.

It would be foolish for any forum member to second guess the repairing technician's solution...

It's important to remember...Smart is a Mercedes product...and Mercedes is generally very dedicated to customer satisfaction!

If you have any concerns...be sure you make an appointment to meet with the General Manager/Managing Partner of the dealership...they might be able to expedite a solution...the General Manger/Managing Partner oversees both the sales & service department!

Bottom line...make sure the "Head Fred's" of the dealership are aware of the amount of time your Smart has spent in their service department!

Threatening the Dealership with a Lemon Law attorney is probably not the best course of action...at the end of the day...it's up to Mercedes Benz USA to make a judgement call with regards to your vehicle...the Dealership's General Manager will usually help you thru this process if it become necessary...

I hope your dealership is able to repair your Smart to your satisfaction!

·
Banned
682 Posts
Todays mechanics are expert at replacing things; all of which are billed. However, they are not good at thinking, which is beyond their pay grade. So, replace and replace some more until the damned thing works.
Based on comments...you seem to know very little about the staffing & training parameters at a Mercedes/Smart service department...for the most part these dealerships are staffed with very competent & well trained technicians...the new breed of franchised trained automotive technician's can easily make more than 100K a year...to be a successful automotive technician in today's complicated automotive world...a good head on your shoulders is a must!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
for the most part these dealerships are staffed with very competent & well trained technicians...to be a successful automotive technician in today's complicated automotive world...a good head on your shoulders is a must!
I've been to the 3 nearest M-B dealers to have work done on my smarts, their techs are by far the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with. I do my own work now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
But, does customer satisfaction include being happy to return a brand new product for repeated diagnosis and attempted repairs? No, it should only include an instant replacement of an obviously defective product. In your favor, most are not defective in any way. We bought our 2007 Passion in Guadalajara and it has performed perfectly ever since. We are satisfied customers. I did read your party line and it all sounds very nice, but it is all about you; not us.
By the way, we have driven through Houston a couple of times with our smart. Had we needed something, you would have turned us away!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well hopefully it all works out okay. I have to say that the service department has been very accommodating overall with always having a loaner for us with a full tank of gas. One thing that occurred to me earlier today was shortly after we got the car we had a BIG Texas size rain storm here and I noticed what looked like some faint water spots behind the radio screen. It was just after that time that the AC went out. The day after I dropped off the car the first time I called the service department to also ask them to check the water spots, but by the time they looked at it the spots were gone. One may absolutely have nothing to do with the other, but I have to wonder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts