Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be the new guy with all these questions. My used Smart ED that I recently purchased seems to take quite a while for the AC to get really cool. In fact, I'll be almost home (8 miles) before it really cools off. Is this normal or something I need to have looked at. I didn't have high expectations for the AC but when it gets cool, it's actually surprisingly pleasant. It just takes a little bit to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine is the same somewhat. I have a black Brabus, and I think all the glass contributes to all the heat buildup. It takes a while at higher blower speeds to cool it down inside.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,758 Posts
As valvestem suggests, it's just a great big greenhouse with a tiny A/C unit.

May want to initially start with the windows down to purge the interior of some of Dante's Inferno? The recirculation switch can sometimes be your friend.

Can take a while on these hot days especially in stop and go traffic ...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a dark gray and it has been pretty darn hot in southern Ohio this week. Thank you for the input. That really helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine is the same way. If the temps are below 100º, it works within 4 miles. Other wise, its a battle throughout the drive. I keep the passenger side vent closed to direct more air towards me.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
can't remember if it was the same in the 451, but in my 453, i notice it seems less effective at cooling off the interior of the car if you have the fan turned up to the max. I usually keep it one speed shy of the max, and if it starts to get pretty chilly, turn it down another. But in this heat... yea, "gets pretty chilly" almost never happens.

As someone here put it.... greenhouse effect. Or as my friend puts it.... "fishbowl effect".

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to remember to close my blind on the roof and maybe crack the Windows.

But hey, driving my ED with the windows down is pretty fun too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
seems to take quite a while for the AC to get really cool. In fact, I'll be almost home (8 miles) before it really cools off. Is this normal
That depends on what you mean by "the AC getting really cool". It should blow cold air within a few seconds after turning on. Of course it takes a while to cool down the entire car, especially if that has been baked in the sun.

Nice thing about our AC: it is independent of the traction motor. So it doesn't need higher engine rpms to get to full power like gas guzzlers do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Nice thing about our AC: it is independent of the traction motor. So it doesn't need higher engine rpms to get to full power like gas guzzlers do.
I would love to agree with you on that point.... but the fact that the AC compressor shuts off upon moderate acceleration (or any time you start moving from a stop) to reduce engine load leads me to believe otherwise.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Maybe you got a bad connection somewhere? Mine doesn't do that!

Edit: Oh wait, you have a gas guzzler. You don't get the benefits of electric air conditioning.

I know it's normal to get poor performance at idle or low rpm, since the compressor is typically optimized for higher rpms. But do the gas smarts really intentionally disengage AC under certain engine load conditions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't quite go as far as calling gas fueled smarts guzzlers.
Yes, the compressor and I believe the alternator get cut off when under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Maybe you got a bad connection somewhere? Mine doesn't do that!

Edit: Oh wait, you have a gas guzzler. You don't get the benefits of electric air conditioning.

I know it's normal to get poor performance at idle or low rpm, since the compressor is typically optimized for higher rpms. But do the gas smarts really intentionally disengage AC under certain engine load conditions?
Wow, if that didn't come off as pompus, I don't know what does... And the ED guys wonder why there is animosity on this forum???

At least I don't suffer range anxiety, and can drive more than 60 miles at a time...>:D

And yes, every ICE car built by every manufacture, will cut the A/C under full throttle to give maximum acceleration and reduce load on the engine. They've done it for the last 40 years at least...

I wouldn't quite go as far as calling gas fueled smarts guzzlers.
Yes, the compressor and I believe the alternator get cut off when under hard acceleration.
+1.

See above....:(

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,758 Posts
But do the gas smarts really intentionally disengage AC under certain engine load conditions?
Not so much about gas mileage as it is safety. With only 71ish HP sometimes we (and the engineers) choose acceleration over being cool. :shrug:

Note, owner of both ICE and ED - sometimes you need a hammer and other times a screwdriver . . .

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow, if that didn't come off as pompus, I don't know what does...
:sorrysign:
I'm sorry to have offended you personally! Nothing I said was intended to be anything other than factual and inquiring where I didn't know the facts about gas smarts.

I guess I forgot how sensitive the nerves of the gassers are around here. I'll be more careful going forward!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
:sorrysign:
I'm sorry to have offended you personally! Nothing I said was intended to be anything other than factual and inquiring where I didn't know the facts about gas smarts.

I guess I forgot how sensitive the nerves of the gassers are around here. I'll be more careful going forward!
We're only sesitive because of continuing comments like that from ED folks. How you can get "gas guzzling" from a car that get 40+ mpg's is beyond me. :shrug: I could understand the comment if we were having a discussion about a GMC Yukon Denali, or something like that. The fact that you even put "gas guzzling" in a post insinuates an inflamatory remark, or a poke at ICE owners. ED's aren't the solution for everybody, neither is a smart in general. I personally can't use an ED, I drive more than 80 miles a day, and can't charge at work, so an ED is useless to me. That's just a fact. If it fits your lifesytle, so be it. More power to you for "going green".

I do get that most folks don't understand the inner working of a car. Most folks today do not do their own wrenching, so they don't get that deep into a vehicle. I don't have a problem explaining how the A/C system works if you don't understand. Please, ask away, I'll give you more information that you probably ever want But as smart owners, we get enough pokes from folks outside our ranks that don't "get it", we don't need it from each other...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts