Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Smart Community,
Yesterday while changing the air filter on my wife's 2008 Smart fortwo I broke the hard black plastic air hose right at the ridges which is the flex point. Any advice on a short and long term solution to fix this? Right now I have duct tape to seal it but I know this is not a long term solution. Is there a part number available for this? Again this is the section of air hose containing the clean filtered air that is supplied to the engine. Is there a way to use something like a small section of radiator hose and a couple of clamps to bridge the void?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hello Smart Community,
Yesterday while changing the air filter on my wife's 2008 Smart fortwo I broke the hard black plastic air hose right at the ridges which is the flex point. Any advice on a short and long term solution to fix this? Right now I have duct tape to seal it but I know this is not a long term solution. Is there a part number available for this? Again this is the section of air hose containing the clean filtered air that is supplied to the engine. Is there a way to use something like a small section of radiator hose and a couple of clamps to bridge the void?

Thanks,
Jeff
Yes, Barney came up with a radiator hose that along with a short piece of exhaust pipe and 4 hose clamps would replace this piece and it works fine, look under modifications. Chumly

·
Registered
656 Posts
We need a pic. Are you sure its broken or did it just come apart?

Silicone replacement posted above does make changing filter easier though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like it broke to me...it was in two pieces right at the far right side of the ridged flexible area. Does this factory part have a split at that point that I assume was a break? I would love to get a picture of this. I'll try to in the coming days.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Talk about serendipity. I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago. Like you I used duc tape, which worked fine, but it bothered me. I went to Advance Auto (never mind Pep Boys, O'Reilley's or similar) and got a length of DayCo ECR hose. Again just a length of rubber hose. Inside diameter 50mm will fit over the crappy factory hose doesn't have to be a DayCo but just a length of radiator hose with a 50mm inner diameter. Now, cut off the ribbed section on the factory hose. Neatly. Yes cut it off Take a 2-3 1/2 inch section of the generic 50mm tube and two (2) hose clamps and fit the generic hose over the two ends of the factory hose. Be sure and fit the hose clamps before you slide/fit the hose over the two factory ends. Tighten one clamp over the right hand end (towards the resonator box-the direction where the pipe joins the two
vertical holes that are glued welded to the resonator box. Tighten the other on the end of the bought generic hose that's towards the piece of pipe that goes to the air filter box. This piece of pipe will also have a clamp that tightens the pipe on the air filter box. Be sure and tighten firmly. Now when you change the air filter, all you have to do is back off the appropriate clamps and the engine filter change out is much, much easier. Just my two cents worth. It worked for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and thanks Jakieowner. That is exactly what I thought could be done but it's nice to hear that someone else actually experienced this same thing and has a solution inline with what I thought would/should work.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts