Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to get all the information on the dyno testing I had done of intakes for the Smart 451 in on easy to find place. Hopefully we can keep adding to this with the other intakes out there.

For comparison sake here is the baseline run for my car which is what all these runs were done on. Baseline run is on completely stock intake, Solo Performance side exit exhaust.

57hp, 54tq

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ebay silicone intake tube-

Installed-

Linking to Ebay ads always breaks so if you search "Smart Silicone Intake" you'll find it. They're listed for 08-09 but will fit all 451 NA spec cars. You can also get them from aliexpress for $30(vs $38 on Ebay) if you don't mind the several week ship time from China.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great talking to you.
Take your time removing the resignator, you will be amazed at how much room you'll have.
Have a safe New Years.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oh man, I hope I have better luck

What year is your smart? On my 2013 I ended up cutting it out also. They say if you drop down the engine an inch or 2 on drivers side you can get the clearance needed. I decided it wasn’t worth it and cut it out then bought one from a 2008 smart that fits easier for when I need to swap around for warranty or smog checks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's a 2013 as well. No smog in my county so I shouldn't need it at all so I might just cut it out.
Oh man, I hope I have better luck

What year is your smart? On my 2013 I ended up cutting it out also. They say if you drop down the engine an inch or 2 on drivers side you can get the clearance needed. I decided it wasn’t worth it and cut it out then bought one from a 2008 smart that fits easier for when I need to swap around for warranty or smog checks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
Removing the resonator in one piece. Just in case the next owner may need it.
The 09 - 13...resonator is held in place by one bolt toward the pass. side and a ball and socket on the bottom toward the driver side.
I chose to buy a craftsman tool suggested in a post here in the forum. It made things easier, getting into a tight space.
Start by removing the hoses and the air filter box cover. I'm old, don't remember I may have removed the whole air filter box itself for more wiggle room.
I removed the two screws on the metal bracket before I realized the resonator would just pop off the bracket.
I used the small craftsman tool 46157 (pictured) to take out the single bolt (on the passenger side of the resonator).
Took my time wiggling the resonator out in one piece.
As you can see from my last picture, removing that resonator opens up the engine compartment quite a bit and makes changing the air filter a piece of cake.
I hope this helped.
Pictures below (posted for the next two weeks only, because I'm running out of forum storage)
I can send them to your e-mail.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,493 Posts
I can't really tell from the small photo, but does that tool remove the Torx T-30 bolt? I read the write-up on Evilution and Kane mentioned a T-30 socket that fits a 3/8" drive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts