Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello #SmartFriends

I have an issue where I need your assistance.

I Just got an intake system for my car. It is the Injen SP1000 and its supposed to be designed for Smart ForTwo from 2008 to 2012. I have a 2012 and the pictures shown on the instructions are not the same to what my engine is. The resonator or Baffle box between the filter and the engine is completely different to the one shown in pics and also different to the one is shown in many videos online.

Because of that, i dont find the way to get that S**t out of my vehicle and i havent been able to put the intake on it.

If somebody can help me out, i would appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well, I may be mistaken, but I believe the design of the baffle box between the filter housing and the throttle body did get revised very early in the 451's lifetime. If i remember correctly, the 2008's had one that was relatively small and was mostly within view. On my 2009, however, It was a quite large baffle box that actually extended down a bit as well. I know some people have managed to take that style out in one piece... but in my case, i actually ended up cutting part of it to get it out so i could put on an aftermarket intake. This walkthrough on Evilution tells you how to remove the intake that i believe is the one your're having issues with.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

And this post right here on SCoA walks through how to remove the first style of baffle box and intake pipe. HUGE difference.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/185242-post3.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I saw the Genius post and thats the baffle box shown in my intake instructions but is not the one i have.

The one i have is the one listed on evilutions link.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You do not need to cut or break anything to remove the air intake resonator box.

Loosen the clamps on the air filter housing and the throttle body. Spread apart the clamp on the pcv hose that goes on the resonator pipe near the throttle body. Pull the hose off the hose barb and throw the clamp away. That clamp can be replaced with a standard worm-type hose clamp.

Remove the vacuum valve on the left end of the cylinder head from it bracket and move it aside. Remove the bracket on the left rear of the cylinder head that holds the right rear corner of the resonator.

As you are standing behind the car pull up on the left rear corner of the resonator box to pop it loose from a ball stud that holds it in place and pull the left rear of the resonator back slightly toward the rear of the car. Remove the three bolts that hold the bracket to the transmission on which the stud is mounted.

Pull the whole resonator to the rear of the car as far as it will go, then rotate the left end of the resonator 90 degrees forward, or clockwise as you look down on it from above. Now the left side of the resonator should be toward the front of the car so you can pull up on it and remove it. Even with all that it is a tight fit.

After all that your theoretical cold-air intake will not get you anything but more noise and less money in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Rustedwrench's method may work for you. It didn't for me. I had to drop the engine on the driver's side to get enough clearance to remove the ductwork, even when the bracket is removed. Evilution's site said to expect to bend the flange getting the resonator out. I didn't want to do that, hence the dropping-engine method. It wasn't really that hard.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You do not need to cut or break anything to remove the air intake resonator box.

Loosen the clamps on the air filter housing and the throttle body. Spread apart the clamp on the pcv hose that goes on the resonator pipe near the throttle body. Pull the hose off the hose barb and throw the clamp away. That clamp can be replaced with a standard worm-type hose clamp.

Remove the vacuum valve on the left end of the cylinder head from it bracket and move it aside. Remove the bracket on the left rear of the cylinder head that holds the right rear corner of the resonator.

As you are standing behind the car pull up on the left rear corner of the resonator box to pop it loose from a ball stud that holds it in place and pull the left rear of the resonator back slightly toward the rear of the car. Remove the three bolts that hold the bracket to the transmission on which the stud is mounted.

Pull the whole resonator to the rear of the car as far as it will go, then rotate the left end of the resonator 90 degrees forward, or clockwise as you look down on it from above. Now the left side of the resonator should be toward the front of the car so you can pull up on it and remove it. Even with all that it is a tight fit.

After all that your theoretical cold-air intake will not get you anything but more noise and less money in your pocket.
Gotta admit, though, the 451 sounds quite nice without all that baffle crap in there. Quiet as usual if you're just cruising along.... but quite throaty when you step on it.

Still wishing we'd see some sort of intake replacement for the 453. I'd even be happy with one of those silicon tube replacements like what were made for the 451. But it seems like that's unlikely to happen anytime soon, even more so now that the ICE 453's seem to be at an end for us in the States..... which i can't imagine Smart as a whole will be around much longer after that. Ridiculous freakin idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wish i had seen this post before. I ended up cutting mine into three pieces to get it out to put the cold air intake in there...

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There were a few people that cut theirs to get them out and because they were lease cars, had to put them back in. The air intake not only filters the air, but quiets it down somewhat. So it will make a little more noise when you change it out. Some like it , some don't

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Gotta admit, though, the 451 sounds quite nice without all that baffle crap in there. Quiet as usual if you're just cruising along.... but quite throaty when you step on it.
Although the cold air intake may not make much of a horsepower increase on a dyno it does make that throaty sound when you step on it. It does not drone and doesn't sound like the muffler has been removed or sound like it has a tin can muffler. It just sounds like an expensive sports car.
Driving can be a visceral experience or it can be a mundane exercise. The cold air intake makes it a visceral experience and frankly makes you feel like you are accelerating faster than you may actually be accelerating. That makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face while driving. That feeling makes this mod very valuable in my estimation.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Although the cold air intake may not make much of a horsepower increase on a dyno it does make that throaty sound when you step on it. It does not drone and doesn't sound like the muffler has been removed or sound like it has a tin can muffler. It just sounds like an expensive sports car.
Driving can be a visceral experience or it can be a mundane exercise. The cold air intake makes it a visceral experience and frankly makes you feel like you are accelerating faster than you may actually be accelerating. That makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face while driving. That feeling makes this mod very valuable in my estimation.
Yea... it's why i'm hoping that something rears it's shiny head in regards to the 453's intake. I'd be PERFECTLY content at this point with just a silicone intake tube replacement to eliminate the baffles. Would probably make the turbo a bit more audible, even if it'd only just be the vacuum noise of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys, I Got IT!

Finally I was able to finish that painful process. The sound is EXTREMELY AMAZING! I'm super happy with it and the way it sounds and the performance has been improved!!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts