Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much of the time when I go to Seattle (I live on an island across Puget Sound from Seattle), I use car2go. In case, you don't know, car2go is a trip-based car rental service where you pick up the first available car that you can find and leave it at your destination once you arrive. And their fleet of cars are smart cars (at least in each of their markets that I know of). More direct than the bus and I don't have to risk my car getting hit by bone-headed Seattle drivers.

In general, the cars seem to be kept up well. However, about half of the cars that I have used have had the airbag warning light lit. I have never seen it on in my car. Anyone have any ideas what is happening to the car2go smarts where their airbag lights are lit?

alan

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
If you mean the overhead passenger airbag light, that's telling you the passenger airbag is off as there's no passenger in the seat. The half of the time the light is off there better be someone in the seat or there's a malfunction. If it's the SRS light on the instrument panel, there's a problem with the SRS system somewhere. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the SRS light on the instrument panel, there's a problem with the SRS system somewhere. :)
Well, duh!

My question is kinda more along the lines of what could be happening so that the airbag (or, if you want to be pedantic, SRS ;) ) light is lit in so many cars. As I said, I have never seen it lit in my car. Also, as I said, I have seen it lit in about half of the car2go smarts that I have driven. I am pretty sure that it isn't a problem with half of the smarts on the roads, so what could be up with the car2go cars?

alan

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Originally Posted by jwight View Post

"If it's the SRS light on the instrument panel, there's a problem with the SRS system somewhere."

Gotta love that one. :D

This has been a common problem with our cars. Most of the time it has turned out to be the passenger seat belt retractor . A2Jack

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be pedantic....but why not call up the car2go folks and ask them directly? :)
Do you think the people who answer the phone (or the e-mail) at car2go know anything about the mechanicals of the cars? Well, they don't, at least not at this level of detail.

I think a2jack is on the right track. However, I think that it is odd that the airbag/SRS light could be triggered by a problem with the seat belts. 'SRS' is 'Supplemental Restraint System', supplemental to the primary restraint system, the seat belts.

alan

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Do you think the people who answer the phone (or the e-mail) at car2go know anything about the mechanicals of the cars? Well, they don't, at least not at this level of detail.

I think a2jack is on the right track. However, I think that it is odd that the airbag/SRS light could be triggered by a problem with the seat belts. 'SRS' is 'Supplemental Restraint System', supplemental to the primary restraint system, the seat belts.

alan
The seat belt retractors have a pre-tensioner containing an explosive squib similar to the main air bags, so the belts are controlled by and part of the SRS system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts