Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a 2015 451 Pure, and the airbag light was on. Owner said it was probably just the connector under the seat, so I took it to the shop top have it looked at, and just got a call saying I need a new module which the costs $1300, plus labor and taxes. Now, I'm a complete ignorant on cars, but this is significant portion of what I paid for the car. Is that really how it is? Aren't there any alternatives?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
I'll let someone be more specific to the 2015 smart, but I run a tow company... and when insurance adjusters see air bags deployed, they all claim to be around $1500 to $2000 a pop (pun intended). With several airbags in each of todays newer vehicles, they total out very quickly. Regardless of actual body damage.

Just my $.02.
Jim

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let someone be more specific to the 2015 smart, but I run a tow company... and when insurance adjusters see air bags deployed, they all claim to be around $1500 to $2000 a pop (pun intended). With several airbags in each of todays newer vehicles, they total out very quickly. Regardless of actual body damage.

Just my $.02.
Jim
Title is clean, though, so I would assume airbags have not been deployed?

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Yeah, you would know in most cases, if an airbag has been deployed. It leaves shrapnel and carnage behind. One of the reasons that passenger airbags get turned off, is because they almost always take the windshield with them. If you can save a $2000 airbag and a new windshield if there is no reason to deploy... well... why not?

When they are needed, they can save a life... when they are not, they can be devastating to the value of the vehicle.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on about airbags, but I've seen my share of deployments.

If your seller disabled the airbag, or if the airbag was deployed and not replaced... there could be some jail time involved.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, you would know in most cases, if an airbag has been deployed. It leaves shrapnel and carnage behind. One of the reasons that passenger airbags get turned off, is because they almost always take the windshield with them. If you can save a $2000 airbag and a new windshield if there is no reason to deploy... well... why not?

When they are needed, they can save a life... when they are not, they can be devastating to the value of the vehicle.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on about airbags, but I've seen my share of deployments.

If your seller disabled the airbag, or if the airbag was deployed and not replaced... there could be some jail time involved.
Just sayin'
I just got the report from the mechanic. It says "Drivers Airbag Cushion Module" needs replacement, and just the part itself costs $1300 😰 the passenger airbag isn't the problem - when I have someone in the passenger seat the passenger airbag light switches off.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Not sure how well you know your mechanic, but you might try a second opinion?
No offence intended, but I'd hate to find out it was just a connector or something simple.

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how well you know your mechanic, but you might try a second opinion?
No offence intended, but I'd hate to find out it was just a connector or something simple.
No worries! I don't know him at all - haven't had a car since 2014. When I dropped the car there for him to look, he mentioned about the connectors and said he would look at it...

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Most people driving around right now ASSUME that their airbag is going to be there when needed.
(Factory installed, never compromised)
There are people driving around right now who KNOW that their airbag is not going to support them.
(Blown and not replaced, by choice)
There are people driving around right now who have NO IDEA if their airbag will be there when needed.
(Perhaps through no fault of their own... like your situation).

The choice is yours.
Only you can roll those dice.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,810 Posts
Does Texas have a mandatory vehicle inspection? With a defective air bag, it may not pass inspection.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I removed the driver's seat to install a subwoofer. After I reinstalled it the airbag light was on, I was able to clear the fault with a friend's Star diagnostics setup. It took several tries before it reset but it has not returned in over a month

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Anytime power is applied to the car (Ignition turned on) and there is ANY disruption of the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System, or "airbags"), then it will throw a code. Even if you just unplug the indicator lamp in the overhead console, and turn power on, it can create an error... even though no actual airbag was disconnected.

@Laughing Crow it sounds like at some point during your subwoofer install, you may have powered up while the seat occupant sensor was still unplugged. Testing the sub probably.

Jim

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does Texas have a mandatory vehicle inspection? With a defective air bag, it may not pass inspection.
It does, but I believe it is for emissions only.

I removed the driver's seat to install a subwoofer. After I reinstalled it the airbag light was on, I was able to clear the fault with a friend's Star diagnostics setup. It took several tries before it reset but it has not returned in over a month
Hmm... I tried clearing the code a couple times as well, but it never worked. Maybe I should try more?

Anytime power is applied to the car (Ignition turned on) and there is ANY disruption of the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System, or "airbags"), then it will throw a code. Even if you just unplug the indicator lamp in the overhead console, and turn power on, it can create an error... even though no actual airbag was disconnected.

@Laughing Crow it sounds like at some point during your subwoofer install, you may have powered up while the seat occupant sensor was still unplugged. Testing the sub probably.

Jim
I tried clearing the code, but it never worked 😖

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Jim, That is correct, I powered up to make sure it was working before I put the seat back into place. BTW, it took four or five tries to get the it to reset

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim, That is correct, I powered up to make sure it was working before I put the seat back into place. BTW, it took four or five tries to get the it to reset
That's about how many times I've tried, but it didn't go away

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Have you tried the old "disconnect the battery for 15 minutes" trick? It's been known to clear and reset a few things. Worth a shot anyway.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
Pull the negative post off, set it aside and go have a beer (or beverage of choice).

Return terminal to the negative post and tighten. Might be a good time to clean both terminals as well.

Keep in mind that this might clear other things too... like saved radio stations, etc...
I'm not actually sure what all is cleared or saved, but this works a charm on my fleet of Freightliner tow trucks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Some scanners claim to be able to reset airbag codes, the iCarsoft MB v2.0 among others. I have one, but I haven't needed to clear an airbag code on either of my cars so I can't comment on the veracity of the claim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts