Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee here......Several weeks ago I bought a 2013 Smart Car Passion.....upon getting the tow package installed to use this as a Toad....I was told by mechanic that he thought the front end had been worked on?????? and more importantly the front airbag sensors were not wired up....I am stumped as to why this would happen (yes, air bag light has been on) and how do I fix and attach these needed wires....I can't even seem to locate the correct wiring harness that includes these wires....Please help here.....(old Nam Vet) retired Army

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2013 Passion. Airbag warning light is on. Monday I will check codes. Last owner said....No airbag issues till her dad left lights on. Ran battery down. Removed and recharged. Reinstalled and Airbag light came on. Called Mercedes. $170 to reset. But apparently front impact sensor wiring is now missing. Do, what is trick to bypassing sensors?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Info makes sense. What I don't understand is how airbag light could be off if the front sensors are not hooked up....probably from front end accident.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction for all here. Seat belt light is on. But prior owner whom I trust says it ONLY came on recently when her dad left lights on, ran down battery, removed to charge and THEN airbag light came on. Was not on previously. Confusing for sure. Monday I will get to any codes. I will post codes here. I have purchase ordered two front sensor connectors. Apparently they connect into the main wire harness SOMEWHERE. Once received I will attempt to reattach front impact sensors. Weird. I will update post. Thank you all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no indicator that the seat belts are a problem. The simple problem is that the airbag light stays on. I just got a new Status scan tool iCarsoft i980. It shows data S68/3 driver-side seat belt buckle restraint systems switch.....Not connected. Shows error code....B118A Status: Current....Fault in communication component A54 (Front passenger head/thoraxbag sensor)is an open circuit......same info for Driver sensor...eg: open circuit...so my plan now is: once I receive the front sensor wiring pieces I ordered....I will attempt to splice them in to their correct circuitry within the Main Wiring Harness. I assume that I use my battery kill switch to deactivate. and be very cautious....ANY OTHER ADVISE PLEASE???!!! Thank you all. Ps: I attempted to reset airbag light....no go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH....suggestions for fixing S68/3 driver-side seat belt buckle restraint systems switch? Assume something is disconnected under drivers seat or ????

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
It happened to me I reached over from driver side and pulled the handle for the passenger seat backrest to move forward. It rapidly pulled the belt and the locking mechanism stopped the seat back from continuing forward. The mechanism to hold the body in place in a frontal accident. I scheduled appointment with dealer (50 mi away) and all of a sudden realized the belt was locked, tinkered with the seat until I could pull the seat belt out and release it in. Airbag light went out and cancelled the appointment.

Since the seller mentioned the strange event after battery change and battery is on passenger side, just check if the passenger belt can be pulled out?

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It happened to me I reached over from driver side and pulled the handle for the passenger seat backrest to move forward. It rapidly pulled the belt and the locking mechanism stopped the seat back from continuing forward. The mechanism to hold the body in place in a frontal accident. I scheduled appointment with dealer (50 mi away) and all of a sudden realized the belt was locked, tinkered with the seat until I could pull the seat belt out and release it in. Airbag light went out and cancelled the appointment.

Since the seller mentioned the strange event after battery change and battery is on passenger side, just check if the passenger belt can be pulled out?

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk
Wow....how odd. Was the passenger seat belt locked into the belt latch? Both my seat belts seem to work fine. Have carried passenger with no issues. Glad you got yours fixed before spending $$$$ at Mercedes.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think some pieces are missing from the sellers story. What was told and what is happening does not add up. All that from a low battery that was taken out charged and returned to the car without anything else happening :whistle:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts