Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Have notioced several posts recently concerning resetting the airbag light. I guess by now, most smart people know that it is a dealer/or star machine only thing. However there is a fairly low-cost alternative....I say low-cost as maybe compared to visiting a dealer who may be hundreds of miles away , and may or may not do it for free. I'm talking about the iCarsoft i980 scanner. It's available from amazon for about $113. I got one several years ago and it's simple to use and does the job. If you have a genuine airbag problem, by all means do not just keep dousing the light and feel yourself safe...as long as that light is on, your airbags won't work. However, there are many instances where the light seems to be a random thing that just happens periodically...usualy due to poor contacts in the connectors under the seat...often precipated by shoving something under the seat and moving the connectors.
My particular problem wasn't the connectors and was completely randon....appearing about every 6 or 8 months. I keep my scanner in the car at all times and as soon as the light comes on, I stop and clear it. iCarsoft has dozens of scanners and only a few will work on the smart....the i980 also works on some models of mercedees and sprinter. I went to their website this am and couldn't find the model i980 , so maybe it has been superceeded by a newer model, but it's available on Amazon. Acording to their website, it needs to be updated by a download before use, but mine worked fine right out of the box.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts