Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fivespeed did the problem occurred after you took it to the dealer for the oil change? It looks like to be the case after your post about the first oil change and they did some software update.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fivespeed did the problem occurred after you took it to the dealer for the oil change? It looks like to be the case after your post about the first oil change and they did some software update.
I thought about that but no, it happened before, just not frequently. I was told they did a traction control update.

I appreciate you suggesting that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I think I know the reason!

Not sure how far you are from a service center, but I'd want any defect on record as a warranty issue.

And I wouldn't want to self-medicate any repair which, if it didn't work out as planned, could be used against you.

I hope you've found the problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have a service appointment scheduled anyway so I'll just give them the print-out and they can do it.

It does seem odd that it is always 4 hours or so after however it could very well be that the radiator, etc... is heating up (and expanding) the bits under the hood and as they slowly cool (and contract) it trips the alarm.

I had considered that as a possibility before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car does the same thing, its happening right now. Looked it up online, found info about fuse 28 going out causing it, I changed that yesterday, still happening tonight. It only happens at night. I locked it, I unlocked it, its sat both ways and the alarm is still going off. So annoying. The first time it happened on my 2008 it was still covered by warranty but my car was badly vandalized a few times before I figured out it was because of the alarm going off all night. Now at least I have a garage, but I called Beverly Hills dealership and they had no idea how to fix it and couldn't access my old records from 2009. I also called Smart Madness in Long Beach and they also had no idea how to fix it and wanted $200 just to take a look and try to figure it out!!! Its maddening. What is it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try West Covina if they may have a solution. Do you live in L.A? I bought my Prime in west covina instead of Beverly Hills so I would give them a shot. Also the Manager in west covina does visit the forums.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Had to red-green the issue this weekend. It looks like the warmer weather has loosened up all the plastics. I ended up gorilla taping a 1mm thick piece of plastic to the hood side to add enough height to keep the switch depressed. I will probably get the dealership to do their "official" fix next time I'm in for service.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Had to red-green the issue this weekend. It looks like the warmer weather has loosened up all the plastics. I ended up gorilla taping a 1mm thick piece of plastic to the hood side to add enough height to keep the switch depressed. I will probably get the dealership to do their "official" fix next time I'm in for service.

Warm is relative. It was cold for us! And I thought housing prices were bad here!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Warm is relative. It was cold for us! And I thought housing prices were bad here!!!
Another beautiful day in Vancouver.

26c today, with resales downtown hovering around $1000 a square foot. :D

I've had no issue since doing my "fix", alarm hasn't gone off and car always beeps when I lock it.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of the issue. We've had over 60 smart 453's parked on the lot at once and haven't had one car alarm go off without cause. I'll look to see if any of our prior customers have complaints about it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Another beautiful day in Vancouver.

26c today, with resales downtown hovering around $1000 a square foot. :D

I've had no issue since doing my "fix", alarm hasn't gone off and car always beeps when I lock it.
Glad you solved your problem! It's always a feel good moment when I fix something on my car, whatever it is.

My uncle lives on Knight St. Cross street is the low 40s. House next door is listed for 1.3 million. It's OLD, and on 5k square ft lot. There was a house near my son's school with 11k sq ft lot listed for 780k. I told my uncle we couldn't afford to live there. The shopping mall looked more like an auto show. The place with Number 9, (if you're into Chinese food.)

It's sweltering here already. I think 32C is the proper conversion. Fahrenheit is designed for ambient temperatures. Celsius is for the lab. I found it strange that the one grocery store we went to sold fruits and vegetables by the lb....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of the issue. We've had over 60 smart 453's parked on the lot at once and haven't had one car alarm go off without cause. I'll look to see if any of our prior customers have complaints about it.
This issue will most likely only manifest itself once the service cover has been taken off and replaced a few times. I noticed the switch wore down the spot it contacts on the service cover..

21 - 40 of 87 Posts