Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Question: Say that the smart car alarm is triggered by this issue while parked in a mall parking structure (faraway from the owner). Is there a notification upon returning to the smart car that the alarm was activated while away?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Question: Say that the smart car alarm is triggered by this issue while parked in a mall parking structure (faraway from the owner). Is there a notification upon returning to the smart car that the alarm was activated while away?
If the switch is not fully depressed the horn will not honk when you press the lock doors button. So when I lock my car the next time, and no honk... I guess the alarm went off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This issue will most likely only manifest itself once the service cover has been taken off and replaced a few times. I noticed the switch wore down the spot it contacts on the service cover..
I disagree. With mine, I never removed the service cover and had this problem. It is bad under windy conditions due to flex.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another question:

What is the easiest method to semi-permanently mute the 453 car alarm? (Immobilizer activated; flashing warning light on the dash still. Horn works when driving, but it won't sound when the alarm is triggered).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Another question:

What is the easiest method to semi-permanently mute the 453 car alarm? (Immobilizer activated; flashing warning light on the dash still. Horn works when driving, but it won't sound when the alarm is triggered).
Not sure what you mean by "semi-permanently" however you can pull the fuse. Then your horn stops working.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Another question:

Snip the hot wire to the horn. Run it to a relay connected to ignition on wire....?

Relay only allows horn to work when ignition is ON....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Why would you want to disable the alarm? The lights will still flash and the ignition will still be immobilized.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
If the switch is not fully depressed the horn will not honk when you press the lock doors button. So when I lock my car the next time, and no honk... I guess the alarm went off.
I've been driving my 2008 for nearly eight years. And, I habitually lock my car when leaving it. I haven't heard my horn honk when locking/unlocking my car, not once. (except when I hit the Panic Button). Even when I know for a fact that there has been an alarm system activation, because I heard the siren. No horn without activation either. It just doesn't blow the horn.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My alarm hasn't been deactivated and I have that so I wonder what the real reason is.
This is a good point, there are other ways to solve the same problem.

Hopefully it is not that someone is messing with White Lightning's smart, causing the alarm to trigger.

I used to have a Clifford Intellivoice installed in my 190E and if I set the interior zone too wide it would trigger the siren just as someone walked by it. If I set the external zone too wide it would tell a passer by to "step away from the car". Kind of embarrassing, and can get a ticket for noise pollution so I hear...

While I could possibly figure out how to do the electrical if I subscribed to smarttekinfo for a day, I still wouldn't trust myself to do the actual work because I have very little practical experience. I'd just bring the car to an automotive electrical store such as Best Buy and ask them to do it. (They also have a good warranty policy, I think lifetime on their workmanship.) That is if one really wants the electrical solution....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've been driving my 2008 for nearly eight years. And, I habitually lock my car when leaving it. I haven't heard my horn honk when locking/unlocking my car, not once. (except when I hit the Panic Button). Even when I know for a fact that there has been an alarm system activation, because I heard the siren. No horn without activation either. It just doesn't blow the horn.
This is the 453 we are talking about.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
This is a good point, there are other ways to solve the same problem.
If you are simply cutting the horn wire you are not "solving the problem" you are concealing one of the symptoms of the problem. Having the repair installed on your car - as I did - "solves the problem."

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If you are simply cutting the horn wire you are not "solving the problem" you are concealing one of the symptoms of the problem. Having the repair installed on your car - as I did - "solves the problem."
The relay connected the way I mentioned will work as White Lightning requested. The horn will work as a horn but will not sound if the alarm is triggered. "Mine is not to question why...". (Is that a propper quote)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brand new Smart 453 with 53 kms on it now (had it for less than a day). Alarm went off at 2:30am, turned it off with the fob then it turned itself on a few minutes later. Took half an hour to figure out where the fuse panel for the alarm system is, then attempting to extract the fuse - who on earth put the panel behind the airbag and left a tiny opening in the glove box to access it?

In any event, the car is going back to the dealer on Monday. Not impressed. Otherwise the car drives excellent; vast improvement from the old model.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My car is in right now for the ESP Update, and I asked them to take a look at the switch for the alarm under the service flap.

They have concluded that the switch is "not making contact" and are ordering in a new switch which will take a few weeks to arrive. I previously fixed this by taping a piece of plastic under the service flap to bulk up the contact area.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I previously fixed this by taping a piece of plastic under the service flap to bulk up the contact area.
The official fix involes doing just that (well, taking a rivet and attaching a vaffer tin mint).

Someone else here took a piece of rubber and slipped it over their switch, thereby bulking it up, solving the problem.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts