Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
844 Posts
never had a problem with my 451, leave the windows open a crack and something may "blow through". If I knew the car couldn't start without a factory key, I would have not spent $160 for the alarm option. But it might have paid for itself in insurance discounts over 8 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 Cabrio (453) and had the same issue with the Alarm sounding for no reason.. (it was the contact switch under the hood not making contact correctly) so the alarm was detecting an open door.

NOTE.. another side effect of this, is the fact that the conv top, wont go down with a single button push... if you have to hold the button down to put your top down, then there is an OPEN circuit in the system.

The horn NOT beeping when you lock the doors, is another indication that something is up...

Cheers..

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is installed properly, it should not go off for no reason. Almost 10 to 25% of calls to police are false alarms and people are fined.
False alarms are usually due to installation or service problems, alarm system failure or user error. Ensure that such commercial alarm system is installed by professionals so that they will calibrate the system properly and give a demo of how the system works.
Regular maintenance is required and check the working of your alarm every month. To be precise the false alarm could be due to low batteries, wireless interference, storms and high winds, wiring problems, power interruptions, improper calibration of sensors or VOIP home phone systems.
Replace the battery every 3 years. Wireless systems often get triggered by garage door openers, television remotes and other wireless devices. Strong winds would mislead the system to think that there is an intrusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smart car passion 2017 Electric

I need help my car is less than two months old and literally every 15 minutes at 10:30 pm and every 15 minutes the alarm goes off. Literally parked my car outside and it goes off not a car or person near it. Help not sure what is going on, how to I disable the alarm?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I need help my car is less than two months old and literally every 15 minutes at 10:30 pm and every 15 minutes the alarm goes off. Literally parked my car outside and it goes off not a car or person near it.
Welcome to SCoA! Perhaps posts # 59 - 64 "literally" hold a clue?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

·
Registered
170 Posts
I experienced this on mine just this weekend! Make sure the front service hood is completely secure and locked down and all doors are completely closed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2008 smart and the alarm goes off whenever the temperature gets really hot or really cold...i have also seen it alarm itself repeatedly for over 2 hours...i can't press the unlock button on my key fob and open the door fast enough before it has relocked and alarmed itself...but i think my car is cursed because head and taillights last about a month and then burn out, and my car has eaten all the CD's in the factory installed changer and will not play them or eject them

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Had a client with 4 smarts, one of which had the alarm issue. We just fixed it in our service department within an hour. Easy remedy, I recommend you bring the vehicle in to your service department after having first checked to make sure the doors, rear hatch/tailgate, and especially the front hood flap is completely closed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have taken my Smart to the Baltimore Smart Service twice for this random alarm going off which started after I moved cross country and my Smart was put on the auto carrier. Their "solution", after charging me the full diagnostic fee - was to put a new battery in the key fob. Drove it back home and of course the alarm still randomly turns on. Drove it back to the service center the next week, not even going to repeat the BS I got this time. I've lived in three major cities - and this is the first Smart dealership that apparently can't read.... As looking for myself today I found this. Assume the auto carrier fooled with it to turn it off and loosened it up. Since I am now am living in Baltimore and don't want to repeat these cross town trips to the service center to be treated like a goldfish - time for a new not-smart car.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
My 09 smart Cabrio would intermittently alarm, usually in the wee hours or in high wind conditions. It turned out to be the microswitch in the tailgate needed to be adjusted. They "adjusted it" I drove home two hours away and tried to lock the car and set the alarm. I couldn't even lock the car when I got home. I took apart the tailgate and found the lever on the tailgate to no longer be a straight metal actuator but one that was now bent into a rainbow shaped curve. Nothing at all like original equipment manufacture. Being a Biomed tech, I have worked on electromechanical equipment full of similar microswitches with straight metal blade actuators used to operate the microswitch. I reformed the bent actuator and positioned it to detect a properly closed tailgate assembly, and I have only had one spurious alarm since. Good luck, and I hope this helps you find your mal-adjustment in the switch on the right side of your tailgate. I had this fixed at the end of my 1-year warranty. Any contact other than the Chevrolet Dealer that had a smart center attached has never left me feeling that I was a valued customer, ever. That dealer was forced out at the purge. My nearest smart center closed, and that dealer opened a Mercedes dealer in my home town. I went to buy parts and was referred to a smart center four hours away, rudely. In spite of all that, I love my smart. I hope the good part of the information above, helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thx for the advice - but as an accountant type, I'm lucky to know how to put gas in my Smart - maintenance is way way beyond me. I have an 08 Cabrio and have been spoiled all these years with really great service centers. Sad that Smart may have to go, but my neighbors will be making that decision for me if Smart keeps up the intermittent screaming. Didn't know there were "Smart Service deserts" until I moved here. How sad - great car but without service support makes it tough. I have only seen 1 other smart since I've been in Baltimore - now I know why...

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Until I got my service done, I was able to inhibit my alarm by pressing the alarm button with the tow truck hauling a smart. It deactivated the alarm. I could still lock the car, but until I could get it serviced and then fix it myself, that button ended my spurious alarms. So try it, but lock your doors. That may end things until you get it calibrated. We all have different talents. Math is one of my deficits, but I could visualize the flow path thru a dialysis machine, and understand how mechanical things work. My landscape architect, and artist husband has a different set of vision and artistic capabilities. So, thank you for yours!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Steven,

I ended up in this forum because I have had the same problem with the car from the beginning, brand new. Our car is a 2016, Smart for two passion. And our service shop, the official Mercedes Benz service center, hasn't been able to fix it. Actually after "fixing it" the forst time, the car was broken into by a thief and the alarm didn't go off. The service "fixed it" again, but now is back to randomly going off . (Sighs)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My 453 just did this for the first time in a year last week. Freaked me out. I have security-camera-doorbells; and nothing happened luckily, just a fluke I suppose. Last year I asked Smart Latham about it, and for the first time on either my 451 or 453, they didn't have an answer. Sigh. Hope this stays rare. My other solution was to leave it unlocked in the locked garage, and there it remains happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our 2016 Smart Edition 1 was experiencing the alarm going off in the middle of the night this past month. After 3 weeks of dealing with it, usually by leaving it unlocked, I finally took it into our Mercedes dealer in Tyson's Corner VA. They found a service notice for the hood alarm sensor, which apparently can get out of alignment over time. The solution was a new grommet, a $3 part - and about an hour of labor to install either one or two (I don't know). This apparently moved the sensor closer and now all is quiet. It's interesting that this car had not experienced any alarm issues until the dealer did a routine 30K service on it; the alarm issue started a few days after we got the car home. Of course they had the hood off, and that was the sensor that had the issue, but I don't care about the $80 charge now that I have peace and quiet.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts