Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If I recall correctly, Tyson’s Mercedes will stop service on smarts in a couple years. At least that’s what I was told by another dealer.

·
Super Moderator
28,700 Posts
Typical Mercedes - they don't bother with service bulletins unless the owner a) complains, and b) can demonstrate the issue applies to their car. Glad you got it fixed. :)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
My mother has a 2009 C350, and one day as she was leaving home the car got sandwiched by the front gate. Since the squish was towards the front if I recall correctly I turned the steering wheel hard left (towards the offending gate) which gave a gap and I was able to move the car out of the way with very minimal damage. Basically she presses buttons hard and it got pinned in the plastic surrounding it, activating the gate to close as she was driving out. I took it to the local Mercedes dealer hoping they would replace the rear view mirror as the home link buttons are built into it. (I wasn't expecting repair to the front left fender). After a little time the head honcho tells me it was caused "by the way the button was pressed", and sent me on my way. No charge, but left a sour feeling inside...

EDIT-. This may be a leap of logic and unfair towards them, but I can't help but think if the car had been out of warranty, the suggested solution would be to replace the mirror. (Lots of experience paying for Mercedes dealer service in the past)...
Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here to say THANK YOU to everyone on this thread who did the trouble shooting to figure out how to fix this. I'm a new (used) Smart 453 EV owner... the alarm was going off all the time. Couldn't figure out why.., thankfully a search and lots of reading. I'm good to fix it tomorrow.

For anyone else looking for temporary reprieve. REMOVE FUSE #7 in the glovebox fusebox.

Getting the cover removed is nearly impossible ... but let me tell you my trick. pop-forward the left side of the box then REALLY pull the right side of the fusebox cover to the right. It'll feel like you're breaking the tabs, but those things are gonna be alright.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I don’t know how or why I missed this fix, but with PLENTY of time at home to contemplate everything from how to level the yard, fix the 435 Smart random alarm, all the way to the meaning of life (still don’t quite get that one) I found the Evilution fix. Love that guy.

As a former Saturn owner, I have copious amounts of those plastic rawl-plugs that hold GM vehicles together. Some folks suggested a dot of paint on the sensor to line it up right. It’s a stupid little push pin not unlike the brake light trigger found on most cars. When the sensor is pressed or depressed, the intended trigger happens. When the dot of paint hits the hood, that’s where to apply the fix. Drill a small, clean hole, insert one of those rawl-plugs so that it looks like it belongs there and you’re done.

The plug depresses the sensor further so when the plastic service hood expands and contracts in varying temperatures the sensor doesn’t back all the way off thinking the hood was removed. Probably redundant to folks here but had to share something I overlooked and haven’t done in over a year.

At least I’m staying productive!

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I recall correctly, Tyson’s Mercedes will stop service on smarts in a couple years. At least that’s what I was told by another dealer.
Yes, I believe you are right. Our next nearest dealership is probably in Maryland. Maybe it's time to sell our 2016 Edition #1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sounds like a good repair idea. Forget a dot of paint though because that will just wear off over time. using a plug to bump out the hood contact point makes good sense, as long as the plug is on the small side and doesn't push the alarm sensor pin in too far.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts