Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my alarm keeps going off once a night just about every night. It's 930 there's no one outside touching it. My keys are in front of me I didn't hit the panic button. Does anyone have any idea why it's going off? The battery is 2 months old.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has one? Where would that be? Factory? I only just got the thing a few months ago so I actual don't know much about it. I only just found out a week ago someone had put a HID kit in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm well I'm just gonna disable the alarm. I tried the button with the car and the tow hook but idk if it's off or not.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
My alarm used to go off about once a night or more. It would also go off if it was windy which made me believe it was the motion sensor if not the ultrasonic motion sensor inside the vehicle. I figured out that if I pushed the "tow" button to deactivate the tilt sensor during towing, it would stop the spurious alarms. I used that for about a year until I drove the three and a half hours to the dealer for service.

It turned out to be a mis-adjusted microswitch on the right side of the tailgate. IT detects that the latch is properly closed. It was out of adjustment enough to intermittently make contact as if someone opened the tailgate.
The tech bent the switch lever as an adjustment which worked while at the dealer, but when I arrived home, the car wouldn't even lock. I had to undo his repair, reform the switch actuator lever, and the alarm has been perfect since. I was surprised that an alarm could be so false alarm free.
It turned out to be a known issue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I was outside looking for it but couldn't see it. I was use my iPhone as a light source but I not sure what I'm looking for. Is it obvious? Maybe I'll see it better in the day light.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I don't believe you can see the microswitch without taking the outer skin off the tailgate. The tailgate is easy to take apart.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My alarm used to go off about once a night or more. It would also go off if it was windy which made me believe it was the motion sensor if not the ultrasonic motion sensor inside the vehicle. I figured out that if I pushed the "tow" button to deactivate the tilt sensor during towing, it would stop the spurious alarms. I used that for about a year until I drove the three and a half hours to the dealer for service.

It turned out to be a mis-adjusted microswitch on the right side of the tailgate. IT detects that the latch is properly closed. It was out of adjustment enough to intermittently make contact as if someone opened the tailgate.
The tech bent the switch lever as an adjustment which worked while at the dealer, but when I arrived home, the car wouldn't even lock. I had to undo his repair, reform the switch actuator lever, and the alarm has been perfect since. I was surprised that an alarm could be so false alarm free.
It turned out to be a known issue.
Every now and then, and it happened last night, my Smart will flash its 4-ways as if the tailgate / hatch were left open. It's rare, but when I catch it, I just go out and make sure the doors and rear are fully closed.

I have an aftermarket alarm, but I'm confident if I had a factory alarm, it would likely be going off in those instances. Done a lot of reading about false alarms, and never read a solution until now. That's an interesting find.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I hope I have better success at that then my plugs. The bolts for all three coils are froze and hopefully the penetrating lube I put on yesterday does it's trick. It will be a bad day if they snap.
Is there a way to disable the alarm completely?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion that seems to have an overly sensitive factory alarm. If a loud car or heavy truck goes past, it scares the little guy and he wails. My motor cycle will also set him off. Is there any way to desensitize the alarm?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Nope, it's either on or off. You can hit the "towing" button on the button bank - that may help (but also allow your car to be towed without the alarm going off....) :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I hit the tow button every night. Sometimes if you give the tail hate a good slam closing it it'll be ok but it's so fricken loud I don't risk it anymore. It's a pain but what can ya do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My alarm on my 2008 smart kept going off at work while parked on the street and at home parked in the driveway. I tried opening and making sure the doors where closed tightly. Nothing helped except turning off the motion sensor. Two weeks ago both of the rear hatch window struts went out and wouldn't hold the window up any more. I replaced the struts with some I got online and now the alarm doesn't go off anymore. I guess the struts helped keep pressure on the sensors.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I guess the struts helped keep pressure on the sensors.
Most likely true. In another vehicle, I glued down two washers to the door sensor just to keep the factory alarm from going berserk once an hour at night. It worked by ensuring a solid contact between the door and sensor so the alarm wouldn't go crazy believing the door was opened without proper credentials (the key).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts