Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 smart 451 alarm sounds if I wait about 1 minute after locking ONLY when the key-fob is within range. If I lock the car, then walk far enough that I can't lock/unlock/panic with the key, the alarm will not sound. I thought it might be a defective button on the key, but I changed to the backup key and it does the same thing. There must be some signal the car is sending to the key periodically. What part (that I would replace) could possibly be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
That's a new one - no idea why it would do that. We have the alarm on ours and that's never happened. :confused:

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Mine has OEM's alarm. The only time it sounds after about a minute is when I unlock and don't open a door: it re-locks itself. Obviously I don't hear it if I'm out of range...

But that's explained in the manual.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was under the impression that the car did not have a "proximity" sensor for the key, since its not a "smart" key.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was under the impression that the car did not have a "proximity" sensor for the key, since its not a "smart" key.
That's not true. It does have one, but it's in the center dash and only has a range of about a yard at best. It's part of the security system, which essentially does an RFID check on the key. If you have other RFID based fobs on your keychain within the same frequencies, they can sometimes block your key from replying, or make the car get a wrong number, and it won't start up, giving you a key symbol in the dash display. (Ask how I know...) :)

It could be you have a failing or incorrectly installed motion sensor if you have the OEM security system. They can fail randomly based on temperature and moisture settings, especially when installed upside down (which smart often did in earlier models).

My 2008 had this issue several times, and I went through 3 sensors before finding one that was reasonable. Even then, it still occasionally fails if conditions are just right: If there is moisture in the car and it goes below freezing, a light frost shows up on the sensor as motion and it goes off. Nights where it's around 0°C, or transitioning, I have to hit the "tow hook" button in the cabin to disable the motion and tilt sensor or risk having to go out in the cold to reset the damn thing as it keeps going off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that the button to disable the motion sensor in the car doesn't seem to work anymore. When I press it, it illuminates until I release it, so I don't think I am able to disable the motion sensor anymore.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I forgot to mention that the button to disable the motion sensor in the car doesn't seem to work anymore. When I press it, it illuminates until I release it, so I don't think I am able to disable the motion sensor anymore.
Well, that is a helpful bit of information. If I were to guess, I would suspect a fault code is recorded in the alarm system.

Just a guess, and worth what it cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts