Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have had a problem with the alarm on my 2016 Smart Fortwo Passion being too sensitive. At first I thought perhaps I was accidentally activating the panic button. But I have since seen it just go off with seemingly no cause. The latest incident, I had parked it in a parking structure, I locked it as usual by pressing the middle button on the key fob, and before I could walk all the way out of the garage, the horn starts blowing and the lights start flashing. I deactivated it by pressing the unlock button once. My neighbors have reported to me that it sometimes goes off in the middle of the night. I can't hear it because it's parked in my driveway and my bedroom is on the back of the house, and we sleep with an oscillating fan going. It has also done it while parked in my garage, with the garage door closed. No stimulus. It just starts going off. What should I be checking for?

Thank you.
Tim David

·
Super Moderator
28,292 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Have you had the service bulletin on the alarm switch under the hood taken care of? 99% sure that's what's causing your issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to SCoA! :)

Have you had the service bulletin on the alarm switch under the hood taken care of? 99% sure that's what's causing your issue.

Thank you jwight. I reviewed the post at the link you gave me, and the only mention of a TSB is in the title of the post. Do you happen to have more info on the TSB?

Thank you again.

Tim David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roger that. Had to dig a bit. I'm going over there today on a different matter, so I'll ask them about it.

Thanks again.

Tim David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they take care of it for you? :)
Unfortunately no. There was nobody from the service department still there. I went for a part for our other Smart. I've read a couple of "fixes" that people have used, and they all pretty much are attempting to do the same thing that the TSB says. So I need to get under the "hood" and see if I can beef up the contact. The other thing I was wanting to do was to find out what the magic button sequence is for just shutting the ATA system off. On earlier models, there were buttons on the center of the dashboard, and pressing them in a certain sequence was supposedly how you turn it off.

Thanks for the assist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts