Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil Blue Belle decided she wanted some extra attention. I brought her home Monday of last week. Almost immediately her factory installed alarm was going off in the driveway. The first night I saw my cat outside and thought maybe she had something to do with it. I brought her in the garage and shortly afterwards the alarm was going off again. So I disabled the motion alarm. {The little button inside that is used in case of leaving a dog or something in the vehicle.} The next night it was blaring again. I called the 800 number. I then pulled the H3 out of the garage for part of the evening and put the lil smartie inside. She wasn’t in the garage an hour when she started blaring again.

For those who have not yet heard the factory installed alarm it’s quite loud and has a high pitch. At this point there was no need to leave the H3 in the driveway all night. I played musical cars again and the H3 was back in the garage. As for my lil Blue Belle, I had to use the motion disabled switch yet again. With only a few days ownership she was back at the dealership for her alarm system. I dropped her off that morning and they gave me a courtesy shuttle ride home. That afternoon they picked me up and I drove her home.

It didn’t last long. Next thing I knew her alarm was going off again. I’m sure by now all my neighbors are well acquainted with what her alarm sounds like and they are promptly ignoring it. Fat lot of good it does if everyone ignores it now. So I call the Dallas smart center and make another appointment. Meanwhile I have to disarm the motion detection each time to avoid making the alarm go off sporadically.

Thursday is one of my days of the week I do volunteer work at the V.A. So I didn’t need her all day and scheduled my appointment for that day. Meanwhile I get a call from Allison. She wanted to know what happened with the alarm. She has another customer with the same issue. I advise her to talk with Steve in service since Blue Belle was visiting again. The 2nd trip was a bit more detailed though as they kept her overnight. So surprise to me! I had to find someone to give me a ride home to Arlington from the VA in Dallas.

The next afternoon they send the courtesy shuttle to pick me up. I get to the dealership and my lil Blue Belle isn’t quite ready yet. So I go visit the sales gals. One is missing and no longer with the company. Amber inquires about the alarm situation. Now Amber had a customer call that morning with the same issue. So now I’m certainly not the only one. I was just the first one. Though the other customer that Allison had with the alarm situation and the customer Amber has with the alarm situation could both be different issues that just happen to involve the alarm.

As of tonight, so far so good. She spent the whole night in the driveway without as much as a single lil peep, meep or beep. No noises so far tonight either. I didn’t understand the explanation that was offered as far as the repair. It didn’t much matter as long as she quit her unnecessary squawking. Sure makes me thankful I’m not too terribly far from a local dealership.

On a side note: One of the people working there mentioned that there might be the possibility of dealerships opening in Shreveport and Fort Worth at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It sure would be nice if all the dealers technicians were hooked intoa clearing house of new car problems.... at least then you should not have needed two trips to the dealer if the dealer out in LA had a place to post about what solved the problem for them a month or so back

It is these niggling things that are gonna really torque me with my piddly 1.5 hour drive to the dealer.

Yes I have the alarm system coming with my new car next couple of weeks

BTW Ms Angle...did you try to set it off after they did their magic?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure would be nice if all the dealers technicians were hooked intoa clearing house of new car problems.... at least then you should not have needed two trips to the dealer if the dealer out in LA had a place to post about what solved the problem for them a month or so back

It is these niggling things that are gonna really torque me with my piddly 1.5 hour drive to the dealer.

Yes I have the alarm system coming with my new car next couple of weeks

BTW Ms Angle...did you try to set it off after they did their magic?

Before repair yes. I did try to go outside and shake the car as well as pull at the door handle. I asked if there was a perimeter thingy in the key fob. So I left it inside when I went out and tried it again. This was one of the little things I left out up above. I could shake the car and even try to open the door with the keys inside and the alarm didn't go off. But would still go off randomly. Haven't tried it afterwards. Guess I'll wait until a decent time during the day tomorrow to try it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Alarming.

Angel. Very same problem here. Haven't reported it to dealer yet, as I'm sure they have no fix.

We thought for a while it could be moisture related, as in rain sprinkles, but have not turned a hose on it to check it, as yet.

The strange thing is, the alarm has never gone off while the car is being worked during the day. It just goes off when parked in the carport or driveway.

We have concluded the car just gets lonely and wants our attention. :)

A2jack

·
Registered
800 Posts
I thought I read on here there was this problem and it was one of the sensors (motion or shock) installed upside down as it has no markings and is easy to do this.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
duckhunter

thanks for the reminder...I think you are correct and that is what I was alluding to above

As it stands now I am betting Mercedes Benz does not have this issue in their on line fault isolation software for the technicians.... This means each dealer's tech must learn the hard way how to diagnose and fix this problem for those that end up with weird alarm behavior

we only have a few of the 50~70 dealers represented on SCOA so perhaps they will follow some of these customer issues and point their techs to this as a resource but for the rest of the dealers they are crippled by lack of knowledge

I sent a few suggestions to Dave Shembri, smartUSA, and PAG on this issue....but as usual no acknowledgment of the note. When I ask my dealer's tech staff, they tell me there is no good source of info out side of MB's .... they have a regional rep but usually they know more then that level does

I am sure it will get better with time but the first 6 months of owners are going to experiance some issues that take several times diagnosing before completly fixed.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I read on here there was this problem and it was one of the sensors (motion or shock) installed upside down as it has no markings and is easy to do this.
That was what they tried the first time she went in. Guess that wasn't it as she needed a second visit ....

And now a 3rd. :(

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this morning I went out and tried to open the door. I also pushed and pulled on the outside of the vehicle. The man person took out his Harley and all was good. I thought things were okay.

Not.

Early this afternoon the alarm started going off for no reason. I reckon she'll be back at Park Place Dallas smart center for a 3rd visit.

I'm a bit disappointed and frustrated at this point. Maybe this is the powers that be telling me I should have waited for the one I configured instead of adopting an orphan?

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
No idea if this would be connected, or even how the alarm works, but is anyone near you transmitting RF energy of any sort? Just a thought. Or more of a guess. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No ...you did good adopting... she/he(?) is just POed because the Harley got attention today

Sooner or later the Lil Bugger will get sorted and yelp n whine only when strangers are around

speaking of that... a buddy of mine recorded his mastif barking and raising hell... MP3ed it into his programmable alarm system and added a IR motion sensor (think out door garage light)... on his Harley Tour Ultra.... set the sensitivity to very low so you could get kinda close to the thing.... it was a hoot to sit in a bar looking out and seeing the occasion idiot get a bit too close... and nearly have serious laundry problem... loads of laughs...

FXR Fred

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope. Had the key inside hanging on a hook by itself. So no chance of that. Though I have noticed if I press the button inside to disable the motion part of the alarm that it doesn't seem to go off wildly by itself.

Just odd that I can have it armed and pull the handle and nothing will happen. I can have it armed and shake the car and nothing will happen. I can take the Harley out of the garage go down the street and back past the driveway with it armed and not set it off. Yet nothing can be near or around the car and it'll just go off again.

The first time they checked to make sure neither of the two modules were upside down. Second time they couldn't find anything in particular but checked all the connections and stuff. It sat for 4 hours without going off and they thought it was fixed. I brought it home on Friday. It was good all day Saturday. Sunday it went off for no reason. Got an appointment to take it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had this first happen to me last week. Since then I have been waiting for someone else to get their's fixed. For now I just disengage the alarm but I don't like leaving the car unlocked

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Where is the sensor mounted ???

I would bet this is a temperature induced failure.

Anyone know where this thing is mounted and how to get to it. ?

A2jack.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm never anywhere near the car when it's parked and alarmed, so I have no idea but certainly hope it's not going off as that can bring out the torch & club crowd here.

no notes under the wiper blade, and no other signs of neighborial discontent. Actually I'm pretty sure they don't arm the alarm when it's in the parking lot, so just when it's on the street.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Have you tried testing it with the motion sensor deactivated? I can't recall the exact way they say it needs to be done (check the manual) as I recal you have a short time to press the button that turns off the motion sensor after turning the car off - I pretty sure if the button stays lit when you set the alarm the motion sensor is off. Just thought it might help pinpoint if that is the issue or not :) Also this way you don't have to leave the car unlocked (hopefully).

(Fwiw we tried it once when we left the dog in the car - was clear when it was not disengaged right as her movements set the alarm off at first but then everything was fine with the motion sensor actually turned off.)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried testing it with the motion sensor deactivated? I can't recall the exact way they say it needs to be done (check the manual) as I recal you have a short time to press the button that turns off the motion sensor after turning the car off - I pretty sure if the button stays lit when you set the alarm the motion sensor is off. Just thought it might help pinpoint if that is the issue or not :) Also this way you don't have to leave the car unlocked (hopefully).

(Fwiw we tried it once when we left the dog in the car - was clear when it was not disengaged right as her movements set the alarm off at first but then everything was fine with the motion sensor actually turned off.)
I have deactivated the motion sensor. It light stays steady until the vehicle is locked then it blinks quickly. Other times the light is off when the motion sensor is activated. The alarm has not gone off with the motion sensor deactivated. I'm not leaving my lil Blue Belle unlocked.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Would be great if someone could tell us more about the sensor issue being installed upside down????
I am ordering the factory alarm too and we live in an upscale condo community. Can't have the lil smartie wanting attention without good reason... LOL
If anyone has this issue and takes it in for service PLEASE get the details from the technician so you can share what you learn.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts