Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up from Google News:
Alternative-power versions of the Smart city car also could cross the Atlantic.

A trial with 100 electric Smart ForTwo cars has begun in London. Roger Penske, CEO of Penske Automotive Group, wants the experiment extended to the United States. His company is Smart's U.S. distributor.

"We think it is the next step for Smart," said Penske, who has driven the electric car.
Link to full article here: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070918/FREE/70918003/1530/FREE

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Not too much said there but only a few words about EV or PHEV's for me is exciting. They are coming at some time in the not-to-distant future.....that's for sure.
I believe electric drive is the most direct and obvious way to head towards obtaining some degree of energy independence and lower CO2 emissions. I'd rather pay a US electric utility to commute to work than continue to pay the ever increasing price (hidden costs in there too) for foreign oil. Keep the $$$$ in THIS country! 1-3 cents/mile surely beats the crap out of 12-15 cents/mile in my book ANYDAY.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Not too much said there but only a few words about EV or PHEV's for me is exciting. They are coming at some time in the not-to-distant future.....that's for sure.
I believe electric drive is the most direct and obvious way to head towards obtaining some degree of energy independence and lower CO2 emissions. I'd rather pay a US electric utility to commute to work than continue to pay the ever increasing price (hidden costs in there too) for foreign oil. Keep the $$$$ in THIS country! 1-3 cents/mile surely beats the crap out of 12-15 cents/mile in my book ANYDAY.
I certainly would rather support West Virgina coal miners than Saudi princes. Our fuel money is less likely to end up in Bin Laden's hands.
(Not a political statement, just fact)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I noticed yesterday that the microhybrid is already available on the German configurator.
And it costs only about 400 Euros more.
If I had any idea how soon that would be available in the U.S., I might wait for it. I'm certain Smart won't let on, hoping they might get a lot of early adopters to "trade up" to the more fuel efficient models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts