Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for 8 days now. The reason for this post is something I noticed after day one or two though.

I got the all weather floor mats from smart. They have holes in them for use with positioning pegs, I assume. But, there are no cooresponding pegs in my car. The only one I see is on the left side of the passenger footwell, out of reach of the mat. The dealer appears to have installed the mats with double sided tape, and it isn't holding all that well in places. Plus, secured with tape how am I supposed to remove them for cleaning and reinstall afterward, without buying some monster double sided tape each time? What's up with that? Aren't I supposed to have pegs?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Hi Victor,

I picked up the carpet type mats when I purchased Max. They also had the holes for the pegs. Gave me a little plastic bag with the pegs. Didn't want to put any holes floor. The bottom of the mats have some velcro on them that holds them in place w/o the pegs anyway. Been following your travels and glad you are enjoying your new smart.

DowneasTTer

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought both sets of mats and found the velcro to be good enough. I, too, was given a bag of pegs with the mats but didn't see the need.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've had my car for 8 days now. The reason for this post is something I noticed after day one or two though.

I got the all weather floor mats from smart. They have holes in them for use with positioning pegs, I assume. But, there are no cooresponding pegs in my car. The only one I see is on the left side of the passenger footwell, out of reach of the mat. The dealer appears to have installed the mats with double sided tape, and it isn't holding all that well in places. Plus, secured with tape how am I supposed to remove them for cleaning and reinstall afterward, without buying some monster double sided tape each time? What's up with that? Aren't I supposed to have pegs?
You should have gotten three pegs that screw down into the carpet (they don't make a hole in the floor at all). They came with mine (ordered from Paul/classicsmarts at Round Rock). I'd definitely contact the dealer and get them, since that flap next to the brake pedal will flop down without one. - sheureka

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our salesman had them installed in a matter of minutes for us. N.C. Bedford, Ohio Smart dealership!!! Passenger side is velcro/tape (no pegs) both work well.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, today was day eight, and I cleaned my car for the first time inside and out. In the process, I discovered what I had thought was two sided tape was the clear plastic floor cover (with adhesive on one side), clearly marked 'must be removed by dealer' under the floor mat in the passenger side. I pulled it up and disposed of it. That plastic protector would prevent the 'velcro' from working properly.

My mats do, indeed, have 'velcro' strips on them. One of the strips wasn't attached to the mat very well and that adhesive was what I had felt when I partially raised the mat.

I didn't receive pegs from the dealer. And, as sheureka points out, the flap left of the brake peddle DOES want to flap down. I guess I'll invest in some 'velcro' strips to make up for the insufficiency.

BTW, my Smurf really enjoyed its bath today. I was cautious about the top, read somewhere that wax isn't good for it. Guess I need to do some research on Cabrio Care.

·
closed
471 Posts
I pick up my smart tomorrow :D so I can't speak from experience yet. However, I agree that Velcro has MANY wonderful uses. I wish I had thought of Velcro with my last car. As for the double sided tape; I would be afraid that in the heat of the car the sticky side on the floor would create a nasty mess. :eek: I will be using Velcro. Thanks for pointing this out to a brand new smart owner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@@@@@@@@@@@ RE: ALL - WEATHER MATS
Other than the dealer, does anyone out there make all rubber floor mats specifically for our SMART cars? (I don't want to get generic rubber mats)
Thks!

·
Vendor
3,623 Posts
does anyone have pictures the different types of floor mats? any advice on which ones are best?????
Robbie,

We stock the Genuine Smart Velour mats, Genuine Smart All Weather Mats, S-Mann mats and the Best of the Best BRABUS mats. In the next couple of weeks we will also introduce our own line of Smart Floor Mats. In case you are interested here is a link to the mats:

Interior:Floor Mats

Thank you... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts