Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a Smart. But, I'm down to two choices. Both are 2008 Passions. One has 9750 miles and is $10,500. The other has 27,000 miles and is $9100. Which one would you buy? Color is not overly important to me but for those that care, the $10.5 is silver and the $9.1 is red. Both have approximately the same features. The only added in the $10.5 is leather seats...in black.

So, which would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
9750 miles is not a lot for a 6 year old car. I wonder whether it was serviced once a year (and if not, I would stay away).

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
If everything else is equal (features, wear/tear, maintenance records), I'd take the lower miles and leather for a bit more. However, I think they're both priced high for 2008 coupes without a warranty. A cabrio would be closer, but probably still a bit high IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was serviced once a year at the dealership. I had the dealership pull the records. It also had it fuel pump replaced under warranty (about 2500 miles). Otherwise, it had its oil changes, etc.

The otherone, the $9.1, also had all its maintenance and the private owner has all the service records.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought they were priced high too, but they are the lowest in my area. Most are running at 11 to 13K. That is in keeping with the edmunds.com appraisal for "excellent" condition Smarts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what would you pay?
I just got my 08 Passion with 7000 miles for $7990... I would shoot for something closer to that price if you can. Dealers can be a nightmare negotiating with but if you keep putting the sale off they will go lower.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NONE are priced that low in my area. Maybe I should look nationally? Hmmm...so many decisions.

I bargained with the MB/Smart dealer for one, but they were at 10,3 for one with 27K miles. I got the one used car dealer (non-smart dealer) down to $10.5 and it has 9.8K miles (as noted above.)

Greg87-you got a great deal!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
NONE are priced that low in my area. Maybe I should look nationally? Hmmm...so many decisions.

I bargained with the MB/Smart dealer for one, but they were at 10,3 for one with 27K miles. I got the one used car dealer (non-smart dealer) down to $10.5 and it has 9.8K miles (as noted above.)

Greg87-you got a great deal!!!

You might need to shop around more. I looked within a hundred miles and that one was the best deal by far... Not even sure if the dealership was aware their price was a lot lower than everyone else around selling the same car... Perhaps open up your search to a bigger area? The drive is worth saving thousands of dollars :)

·
aka 'spice'
115 Posts
2b, 2b do. lol

Check out this list they have 'fair' pricing and will get one to you from anywhere. Do you have one of them near you?

Of course, 'fair' is a 'relative' term with auto dealers.

Let's see $1300.00 difference between the two smarts. 17900 more miles of 'wear'. Gee, I like the Silver color. lol and it has a 'newer' fuel pump.

If price is most important go for the Red.

See, the more info you get, the more confusing your decision becomes.

Either way you will 'love' your 'new' puppy. uh. I mean smart.

MJB

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
virtually ALL used cars drop around 50% value in 5 years. smart is no exception (many drop more than this!). This is reality. If you owned either one of these cars and for whatever reason had to sell, then you would REALLY find out what they are worth! A LOT of fickle folk bought smarts and there are seemingly fairly often cars for sale with relatively low miles. If it is worth it to you, and you plan on owning it a LONG time then you might consider paying a smidgen more for the right car.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'd always pick the lower miles all other things being pretty much equal.

Carmax is good because you can change your mind in 5 days, and automatically have a 30 day warranty. (I don't always catch something wrong with a car, even when new!)

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Which Kansas City dealer are they sitting at. With out looking at them go for the low milage one. Check it out if its been serviced at Aristocrat Motor. Get the serial number. Give Joe Sauceda the smart service manager a call. 913 677 3300.

Lots of older people buy smart cars, and hardly drive them. Most likely with the low milage vehicle.

Good Luck, on your decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smark-I've looked at one in Olathe suburu, at aristocrat, at carmax, and a private seller in Belton. I had the service records pulled from Aristocrat and found out about the fuel pump-although it also showed up on the car fax. The silver smart dealer bought it for $9750, and then detailed it and changed the oil, etc. adding another $215 to its "cost." They want 10,500. Because of the miles, I was willing to go a bit more, but $10 seems to high to me but they are stuck with what they paid. Thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Expanding my search, I found a green 2011 Smart Passion in OK for $10,999 with 7500 miles. Is there a big difference from the 2008 to 2011 (and the first one to say 3 years gets a big bop in the head. :) ).

·
Registered
912 Posts
2011 had some minor restyling, but it's so minor that you have to know where to look in order to tell the difference. Essentially, it's the same vehicle.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
I bought a 2009 Cabrio with 27K miles at a dealer in Lawrence Ks (just down the block from KC) for $8700 a month ago. They had it a while and when they knew I was serious the price started to come down but I had to "walk away" from higher prices before they would come down to my price.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
2011 had some minor restyling, but it's so minor that you have to know where to look in order to tell the difference. Essentially, it's the same vehicle.
The software for the 11's is also updated and from all the praises on here, they "seem" to perform better :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts