Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I almost got nailed for cutting through a gas station while running late. :trafficlight:
- Unmarked car saw me = i had no choice but to grab a pump.

- 5 short gallons later, it clicks full. Can't bust me for not having a big enough gas tank. Didn't lose that much time at all, saved a ticket, made up the deficit on the highway.
***scored 42MPG on that last tankful (yippie)

*We gotta enlighten more people to unpublished bennies like this. I'm telling ya, that cop knew exactly what i just got away with.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've only ever heard of someone getting pulled over for that in NJ. I've never done it myself... dont really see the point, but apparently it is a big problem at the NJ beaches.

Good thinking getting some gas!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Using private property/roadway to avoid a traffic control device. Happens often around here too but I have seen several people get caught because they failed to think like you and get gas. (stopping for gas does not save you any time but save the cost of a citation, the better choice is to wait for your traffic light).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Years ago, a traffic school instructor (off duty cop) in California told us in the class that it doesn't take much to avoid this citation. Merely stopping briefly to look at an advertising sign, check out the pump prices, etc., or any engagement with the business in question was enough.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Years ago, a traffic school instructor (off duty cop) in California told us in the class that it doesn't take much to avoid this citation. Merely stopping briefly to look at an advertising sign, check out the pump prices, etc., or any engagement with the business in question was enough.
+1
That is what I do. Just proceed slow. What if I decided to stop at the gas station and saw a suspicious car/truck?

"I did not felt safe to get out of the car, officer!"

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So you save a minute cutting the corner. The cop can use that as probable cause to stop you, hold you there for 10/15 minutes while checking your driving status, catching up on his paperwork, and generally giving you an object lesson in not being in such a hurry. (Yea I did that to those who proclaimed to be in a hurry. We were allowed 20 minutes) It is, after all, private property, not your own personal shortcut.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Been there- done that. After I got pulled over, I told the deputy the truth. A garbage truck was blocking the road and I thought I could save considerable time. He let me go with a warning.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
So you save a minute cutting the corner. The cop can use that as probable cause to stop you, hold you there for 10/15 minutes while checking your driving status, catching up on his paperwork, and generally giving you an object lesson in not being in such a hurry. (Yea I did that to those who proclaimed to be in a hurry. We were allowed 20 minutes) It is, after all, private property, not your own personal shortcut.
Moon's ago, I too stopped people for that and "held" them there while "checking them out" :)

No time saved here..............................

·
Registered
780 Posts
Today I almost got nailed for cutting through a gas station while running late.
*We gotta enlighten more people to unpublished bennies like this. I'm telling ya, that cop knew exactly what i just got away with.
Come on: in the long run, just how much time did could you shave? And was it possibly worth the risk?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If you want to avoid a ticket, just take this friendly advice for Jim Carrey, in the movie Liar Liar:

:D

Bob Diaz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts