Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 that I was driving down the road after my wife called and said it died and wouldn't restart. I went to pick her up and got in the Smart to see what was going on. It started right up, so I gave her my truck and was driving home. It was fine for about 20 miles and started running rough. CEL came on and the traction control light started flashing but no reason for that? Then it died. I scanned it and had a Crank Pos sensor code. I changed the sensor and now it hits and the engine picks up speed, but still wont quite fire up. I sprayed starting fluid into the intake but no change. All fluid levels are good.
Anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't think I'd use starting fluid for this, I do use it at time with some other egines, but for a modern, computer controlled engine I think it's probably more trouble. That said, off to the problem itself...

I haven't had my Smart long, so take that for what it's worth, but that the tractoion control (ESP) kicks on too, suggests to me there's something else going on, perhaps electrical. I would start with testing the battery voltage. Is your scanner capable of reading the CAN bus for errors? If so, I'm thinking those may lead to some better conclusions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So I tested the battery with a digital hand held battery tester. It was 12.3 V on the surface, and tested good. Alternatively, is there a a problem with jump starting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what I know of the Smart, 12.3 isn't good. I would check the alternator is working well and perhaps charge the battery, it should be 12.5v upto about 12.7v, less than 12.5 and things get questionable. I have had, and have read the accounts of many others, where a moderately drained battery can yield a host of issues.
If you charge it and the issue goes away, monitor things and if the battery drops it's time to look into the battery, charging cicuit, grounding, and perhaps look for some parasitic loads.

What year and model do you have?

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts