Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mileage at fill-Up in Salt Lake City, Utah. 20332
Mileage at fill-up in West Wendover, Nevada. 20455
Difference in mileage. 123
Gallons for West Wendover fill-up. 1.737
Calculated MPG'!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 70.8 MPG

My fuel guage did not even move! I was running the whole trip under cruise control. The cruise control was installed, and purchased, at the local Smart dealership. The entire way I was going at 60 MPH.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think you have too small of a sample of distance and fuel to be very accurate. You need to look at a greater distance and see how it averages out over a few tanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a 2009 Smart. The weekend that we bought it, in a trip from Las Vegas to Pahrump, we got 57 MPG. It doesn't matter how much it is driven, 70.8 MPG in the range given is still accurate. I also have a Dash Hawk installed on the Smart and most of the time, I always use cruise control because of bad knees, the Dash Hawk is indicating over 99.9 MPG. The 99.9 is as high as it will indicate. Around town, I consistently get around 40 MPG. Again, I have had the car for two years this April. My readings over the two years are sufficient to indicate that the 70.8. was accurate for the given range. This was the first time since having the car that the fuel guage DID NOT MOVE, and it was a 123 mile trip.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I would venture to say we have all had one fill that showed amazing mPG figures. But it does need to be repeated to be considered more than a fluke. An average over 3 tankfuls is an accurate measurement.

123 miles is not enough of a measure. 1/2 gal could make a big difference in the figures. Not to doubt your figuring skills, but different pumps wil stop at different fill rates.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
120 miles isn't enough. If you can get 70 X 8.7 = 600+ miles out of the tank, we'll believe it. But trust me, you won't. It's physically impossible. Your sample size is too small. The gas pump can shut off at a different level each time and I've seen a full gallon of variation between pumps.
Drive it until you see the bars disappear and it flashes 1.0. Then fill up, drive more, and repeat 5 times. Average the numbers. You'll see something between 30 and 55. Not 70.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
This is a 2009 Smart. The weekend that we bought it, in a trip from Las Vegas to Pahrump, we got 57 MPG. It doesn't matter how much it is driven, 70.8 MPG in the range given is still accurate. I also have a Dash Hawk installed on the Smart and most of the time, I always use cruise control because of bad knees, the Dash Hawk is indicating over 99.9 MPG. The 99.9 is as high as it will indicate. Around town, I consistently get around 40 MPG. Again, I have had the car for two years this April. My readings over the two years are sufficient to indicate that the 70.8. was accurate for the given range. This was the first time since having the car that the fuel guage DID NOT MOVE, and it was a 123 mile trip.
LOL, when you have a tiny tank (and you do) very small differences in pump shut-off, fill level, attitude of the car when filling etc. are very exaggerated. It can make it 'seem' like you are getting fantastic gas mileage now and again, but you have to use multiple fill-ups and average it to eliminate the effects that I just mentioned. It's VERY unlikely that unless it's going down hill the whole way with a 40 mph tail-wind you could turn in the mileage you are quoting. You really can't violate the laws of physics (though it sounds like fun!)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
I don't believe anyone here wants to sound discouraging, but we've all seen fantastic claims with the car that just aren't repeatable or close to actual average. While I can believe you obtained good mileage over a short distance under ideal conditions, that doesn't really tell the whole story. With seasonal driving, I get excellent mileage in the spring and fall, but I still have to drive in the winter and take the hit for winter driving. My average has dropped from 43.1 to 42.9 so far this winter as usual. IMO, it's not as important what you can achieve over a short distance, but what can you get day in and day out.

As mentioned by others, pump fill variation on these cars can make a huge difference. Here's my favorite personal example with no driving differences between tanks, just pump fill variation:

It looks great on that first tank, but you pay for it on the second tank. However, those two tanks averaged are pretty much my overall average with the car. :)

Attachments

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Congrats on getting 40+ mpg. Even if the 70mpg is a one time fluke it's still fantastic. I'd love to get over 40+ mpg average in our car. We drive to fast on the highways for that to happen. 65 mph is normal on our highways up to 80mph on the turnpike (75 is the turnpike speed limit).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even thought it's likely a fluke, still something to be proud of. lol. Hopefully your high miliage continue to fly! I have yet to hit 50 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My last time anything is said on this forum! If everyone reads everything I wrote then you will see that I said over this range, not all the time! I am not stupid, I have a 4.0 GPA in calculus. Can you say that? I also indicated that the Dash Hawk indicates 99.9 MPG while driving around town. It is the times spent starting, stopping and ideling that the gas mileage goes to pot. I always turn on the cruise control as soon as possible. How many of you consistently get around 40 MPG while driving around town? I know this was probably a fluke in gas mileage, but it did happen, hense the "almost unbelievabe MPG" title. You guys have fun playing with yourselves, I am retired and have better things to do with my time. Learn to read the whole story, not just pieces!

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Your original post did not mention anything other than the one trip. That is waht people are replying to. Your follow up post about getting repeatable 57mPG tankfuls is truely amazing. I can only assume that you have a unique drive with near perfect conditions. I agree that the cruise does make a difference and I do use mine as often as possible.

I have noticed the gas gauge is not completely linear, I get around 90-130 miles before the gauge goes off the full mark, then drops sooner afterwards. Stiil anything over 45MPG is outstanding!

Don't take the remarks made on here personal. There is a lot of people that come in here making outragous claims and we sometimes get a little defensive. We have had a LOT of people that have no idea how to calculate MPG and it is unfortunatly too easy to discount high milage statements as simple math errors. Obviously you are well versed in the art of getting high milage and I am impressed! The up side is you are getting great milage and nobody can take that from you. I average between 30-40 and I am sure most of that is due to the traffic and cold weather here. Keep enjoying that smart!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My last time anything is said on this forum! If everyone reads everything I wrote then you will see that I said over this range, not all the time! I am not stupid, I have a 4.0 GPA in calculus. Can you say that? I also indicated that the Dash Hawk indicates 99.9 MPG while driving around town. It is the times spent starting, stopping and ideling that the gas mileage goes to pot. I always turn on the cruise control as soon as possible. How many of you consistently get around 40 MPG while driving around town? I know this was probably a fluke in gas mileage, but it did happen, hense the "almost unbelievabe MPG" title. You guys have fun playing with yourselves, I am retired and have better things to do with my time. Learn to read the whole story, not just pieces!
Sheesh, oh by the way what is calculus?:twak: LOL

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I took 3 semesters of calculus myself, and am an engineer. I listed the reasons that calculating the mileage can be in error over just one tank (good or bad). I never suggested that you couldn't calculate the mileage, but what some of the conditions were that could lead to an erroneous result. Here is the deal. you have a car that weighs a certain amount, has a certain coefficient of drag, makes a certain amount of horsepower and has a certain amount of rolling resistance. since environmental conditions, road conditions, driving style, tire pressure etc. all have and impact, one can expect a certain range of performance fro any given vehoicle.

To be more precise, I'm supposing, with some degree of certainty, that you are likely out of the expected range. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm suggesting that there are reasons that could explain why you got an extra high result. Also, driving around with a meter isn't a precise way of knowing what your average is over a whole tank (as you've noted). Stopping, starting, terrain, wind can be real mileage eaters. When all of the conditions come together you can get a good tank, and if you couple that with a early shut-off at fill or a late shut off on the previous fill and or a slight slope at fill etc., it can make it appear to be quite extraordinary. Still, even with everything going your way you are turning is some good numbers so keep up the effort, and I would suggest some thicker skin on a public forum.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow. Let me do the math on this and see if I'm way off here.

Retired......65-70 years old?
Calculus......taken at 17-18 year old?

Retired age subtract age in which you took Calculus= 50+ years ago?

And you still remember the GPA that you received? Wow. That's incredible. I graduated in the late 80s can't recall the grade on any of my classes. I don't think I even made it to Calculus. Does that come after elementary math? :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts