Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 2009 coupe also gets super incredible gas mileage, and if anyone doubts it I am gonna get really mad and tell you how smart my car is!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My last time anything is said on this forum!
Excellent! Then we won't have to hear either your drivel or your drive miracles! The first post was hysterical, but the 2nd was just pathetic. What a tool.

Keep up a fuelly account (even someone with your GPA can handle one of those), and check back in if you can maintain anything over 55 mpg for a few tankfuls.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Actually, if he lives in Salt Lake ciy, it is possible thathe could be getting exceptional milage, flat terrain, constant temps, and easy driving, it is possible. Don't be so quick to judge. I believe Salt flats is where they set some of those high miles per gallon runs as well as theose fast speed times.
Some of the replies were less than gracious to a newcomer who may not be returning.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
down boys!
Thanks for trying but once again a new member gets dumped on and departs to spread the word about how he was treated on SCoA. It's nice to see all the new folks joining lately but this sort of thing does not encourage repeat business. :confused:

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I find that cruise control actually is harmful to MPG. I always can improve on FE when controlling the accelerator myself. My 2005 diesel's lifetime FE is about 60 US MPG. The 2006 model is just running in now and is averaging about 56 MPG.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
cruise control can be a two-edged sword. It can help -- especially to keep it steady on the flat, but it more than likely a hindrance in hilly country. I'm not sure abouit the rest of all y'alls cars, but my Gen I tranny gets a might confused in the rollers. I'm pretty sure I can ease it up and down through the hills better than the cruise, but on the flat, where my feeble mind starts to wander... it probably helps.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks for trying but once again a new member gets dumped on and departs to spread the word about how he was treated on SCoA. It's nice to see all the new folks joining lately but this sort of thing does not encourage repeat business. :confused:
In my opinion, the thread did not "go south" until the OP posted his rant about "I got a 4.0 in calculus, can you say that?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wow. Let me do the math on this and see if I'm way off here.

Retired......65-70 years old?
Calculus......taken at 17-18 year old?

Retired age subtract age in which you took Calculus= 50+ years ago?

And you still remember the GPA that you received? Wow. That's incredible. I graduated in the late 80s can't recall the grade on any of my classes. I don't think I even made it to Calculus. Does that come after elementary math? :D

I am 64 years of age. I took the Calculus over twenty years ago. I have tutored Calculus since then. One student, I helped to go from a failing grade to an A. Yes, I can remember my GPA in Calculus because it was so good, I never missed a problem, and did all the problems assigned. At the top of one of my homework assignments was written "Perfect as usual". Do you seriously believe I would forget something like that? When younger I was in the navy, and went in the Navy Nuclear Power program as a reactor operator. I was in section seven, which was the highest and only three of us were not college people. Before getting on schedule, it was noticed that I had completed all the math book problems in less than a day so I was put at the front of the class teaching it. My job has always been aquired and maintained because of my very good memory, so YES, I do remember my calculus GPA. How would you NOT remember a 4.0?

The Smart is a great car, the only thing I dislike is that is too light and does not do well in snow, plus if you ever need to get to the battery, have fun.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
After 3 years of driving in snow, the last year being the most snow we have seen in years, I can say that a complete set of snows front and rear make a Huge difference. The stock Contis do good for the first few years, but if you are in some serious bad snow, you would want a set of snows. I used Blizzacks I got on sale.

My math skills get me by, but I do enjoy passing on knowledge when I can, I developed quite a few training classes for robot operators at work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Battery vs. Snow

...but when it is snowing, I can get to the battery without getting outside the car...:smartlogo:

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am 64 years of age. I took the Calculus over twenty years ago. I have tutored Calculus since then. One student, I helped to go from a failing grade to an A. Yes, I can remember my GPA in Calculus because it was so good, I never missed a problem, and did all the problems assigned. At the top of one of my homework assignments was written "Perfect as usual". Do you seriously believe I would forget something like that? When younger I was in the navy, and went in the Navy Nuclear Power program as a reactor operator. I was in section seven, which was the highest and only three of us were not college people. Before getting on schedule, it was noticed that I had completed all the math book problems in less than a day so I was put at the front of the class teaching it. My job has always been aquired and maintained because of my very good memory, so YES, I do remember my calculus GPA. How would you NOT remember a 4.0?

The Smart is a great car, the only thing I dislike is that is too light and does not do well in snow, plus if you ever need to get to the battery, have fun.
Props to you, your grades, and your memory. I also had quite a few classes where I earned a 4.0. But I couldn't remember those classes if my life depended on it. Some classes were easy. Some were not so easy. What I remember from high schools were never the grades or the classes I took. It was more of the girls that I was trying to chase. I remember all their names :D.

As for the Smart being too light and terrible in snow. I live in MN. I can't think of a better proving ground for the Smart in snow than what we had this year. With that said, it performed admirably, considering it's the 3rd year of the snow tires. The first year was excellent. I felt it was unstoppable. As for it being too light, the only time that matters is when I'm driving in strong cross wind. Otherwise, being light means being nimble and great on gas mileage.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My last time anything is said on this forum! If everyone reads everything I wrote then you will see that I said over this range, not all the time! I am not stupid, I have a 4.0 GPA in calculus. Can you say that? I also indicated that the Dash Hawk indicates 99.9 MPG while driving around town. It is the times spent starting, stopping and ideling that the gas mileage goes to pot. I always turn on the cruise control as soon as possible. How many of you consistently get around 40 MPG while driving around town? I know this was probably a fluke in gas mileage, but it did happen, hense the "almost unbelievabe MPG" title. You guys have fun playing with yourselves, I am retired and have better things to do with my time. Learn to read the whole story, not just pieces!
I can say that.
I can say what ever I want.
I graduated with honors. back in 86.
I just wasn't one of them. :p

·
Banned
513 Posts
Sheesh, oh by the way what is calculus?:twak: LOL
I thing it's that rough skin you get on your heels from walking barefoot too much. :p

By the way, I bought my 2008 smart cabrio last winter with 10K on the odometer. I check every tankful, and in flat city driving, I go from 34 to 36 m.p.g and the 36 is driving very conservatively, slow starts and coasting to red lights.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
calculus is one of them classes that you have to take to prove you are 'worthy' of becoming and engineer; after college, you never have to use it again! If you are using calculus, you're doing it the 'wrong' way.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Galvsti, I think it's great you did so well with calculus and still remember it. I didn't get past advanced algebra, the word problems killed me. My hubby best subject was chemistry but he also did great with math and has continued to use math as a broadcast engineer.

Back to your Original Post, have you continued to track your mileage?
We took a trip to Iowa and back this past week. Got the following gas mileages in order of fillups: 35mpg, 44 mpg, 36 mpg, 35 mpg, 31 mpg. That last leg we had headwinds and were running the AC as well as driving 60 to 80mph, part 2 lane hwy, part Oklahoma turnpike. The 44 mpg tank we had a tail wind but still had speeds of 55 to 75, no AC.
I'm hoping your gas mileage has stayed high.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts