Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed this in a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria with 100% success. This Ford uses a light-control module similar to the SAM. The idea is not mine, I found it on the Ford forums. It simply challenged a Ford owner to find a way to eliminate hyper flashing without resistors. The idea is simple and all it requires is identifying the cables going in and out of the internal flasher and cutting those cables. On the cables all it requires was installing a LED flasher and problem solved. All it does is bypass the internal flasher or flashers (would require duplicate installations in a Smart Fortwo). The (Ford) design is here for smart users to help me identify what cables I need identified to continue with this. Another modification just finished and working 100% requires buying a DRL switch on eBay. I now use the aftermarket fog lights as DRLs by wiring the DRL switch to the battery, ignition, fog lights, hand brake (acts as switch) and to the high beams (turns off fog lights when using high beams). I can explain the later if somebody is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this is the same challenge but for Smart Fortwo users. If you manage to make it work before I do please post the instructions for others to follow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So this is the same challenge but for Smart Fortwo users. If you manage to make it work before I do please post the instructions for others to follow.

The reason for the hyperflash is because the SAM is monitoring the current drawn by the turn signals, when it drops below some threshold it indicates that a bulb has burned out and this is the method by which the SAM can indicate this problem to the driver.

When you cut the turn signal wiring to the SAM, it will leave it in the state of a "burned-out bulb" and possibly with an error code set which can then not be cleared.

How do you plan to handle the brake lights??? They use the same filament as the turn signals.

I would NOT recommend this mod on the smart.

~toaster

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are multiple modules that route the electricity hence why it has to be exactly the cable goin in and out of the flasher within the SAM and not just any cable. Basically I am relocating the flasher. The cable only has current when activated. Does not affect the brake lights.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There are multiple modules that route the electricity hence why it has to be exactly the cable goin in and out of the flasher within the SAM and not just any cable. Basically I am relocating the flasher. The cable only has current when activated. Does not affect the brake lights.

There is no flasher per se in the SAM.

The CPU in the SAM activates the single brake/turn light based upon multiple logic conditions... signal lever position, hazard button activation, remote lock/unlock, key-fob battery condition and alarm if present. The corresponding sound is generated by a tiny speaker.

The SAM also communicates with the instrument cluster via CAN to light the turn indicators on the dash.

What you want to do will only succeed in totally screwing up your car.

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Not an expert on any of this, but the smart CANBUS system is nothing like the system in the two other vehicles you've mentioned.... :)

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no flasher per se in the SAM.

The CPU in the SAM activates the single brake/turn light based upon multiple logic conditions... signal lever position, hazard button activation, remote lock/unlock, key-fob battery condition and alarm if present. The corresponding sound is generated by a tiny speaker.

The SAM also communicates with the instrument cluster via CAN to light the turn indicators on the dash.

What you want to do will only succeed in totally screwing up your car.

~toaster
That’s what my friends said when I got my DeLorean !!!

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Custom made emblem to replace the chicken head. Round black plexiglass and OEM emblem matched to it. Glued afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Custom made emblem to replace the chicken head. Round black plexiglass and OEM emblem matched to it. Glued afterwards.
That is so awesome. I don't know why they (MB) didn't market it like that in the 1st place. A chrome or black "C 451 and 453" on the back would be nice. My SMART letter on the back broke... ...attached a HEMI emblem on the back! 1\2 car, full sized badge!

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When the engine fails I am installing a hayabusa engine (working on a 911 engine/transmission combo for the DeLorean).

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...yes...the mitsu engine has a hemispherical chamber...
...you could off at least cut the beak of the chicken for a more original look and not so glued on piece....
...hayabusa engines are fun for a weekend car...not for everyday...unless you like working on motorcycles chains...
...and for hyper flashes ....just keep the light bulb in the circuit...

Jetfuel....just saying...

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,038 Posts
Go to SuperbrightLEDs.com,

Get can bus bulbs,

They have the resistor built in....

·
Registered
2013 SFT Cabrio
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tried them as well. After about 7 minutes using the hazard lights the car looks like an emergency vehicle alternating left and right as if they blink internally at different rates. That’s a flaw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts