Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A local accessory repair shop thought that they were doing me a favor. They replaced the salt rusted and corroded field with a Honda (also Hitachi), but the field dimension is a bit different. They ground down the mounting flanges to accommodate but now the pulleys don't line up, and it is eating belts. Lesson learned....Don't let anyone tell you that they can do this. Had I known that they were going to do this...my answer would have been NOOOO!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pull from a local wrecker? I picked up a couple here very cheap for my 2010 through the local pick and pull and the other through eBay from a wrecker in Quebec. Granted you are in the states but would guess you could find one that way as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOUGHT MY ALTERNATOR...found used on e-bay. They seem to be about $80-100 used. In my case, I did not have a core to return. No Smarts in local junkyards. Reached out here 1st. thinking that someone might have had one laying around. Winter road salt really plays havoc on the alternators due to the location on the motor.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I'm afraid if they go bad most of the time we use the cores so we wouldn't just have one for you. Sorry we couldn't be of help.... (Mine is/was still original).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased a second alternator and now have a spare one for the fleet. AND...They both work,!!! However, I will have them both rebuilt and have one on the shelf. I still don't understand....Why an accessory overhaul shop can't find and purchase the internals to rebuild the alternator?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just purchased a second alternator and now have a spare one for the fleet. AND...They both work,!!! However, I will have them both rebuilt and have one on the shelf. I still don't understand....Why an accessory overhaul shop can't find and purchase the internals to rebuild the alternator?
Hmm I thought I saw rebuild kits somewhere. We have a few shops here in Toronto, I replaced mine with the wrecker one but I should look into getting the dead one rebuilt so will make some calls tomorrow and report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts