Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had removed the oil plug with the pressed on oil screen cylinder on it in preparation for installation of the Fumoto oil drain valve.
I was horrified to find a piece of aluminum foil sucked into the hole on the end of the screen. In addition, there was a kind of jellied slime clogging up some of the screen! :eek:
It has been suggested that the screen is unnecessary. From this experience, not only will I continue to use the screen, I will now feel obligated to remove the Fumoto valve to Check and clean the oil pump intake screen. This really is a neat design as with other designs, you would have to drop the pan to check and or clean the oil pick up screen. The piece of aluminum foil was almost the size of a nickel sucked inside the open end of the screen.
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra which is supposed to keep the engine as clean as a Ferrari. :D come on, I know you've seen the ads.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That would be a good idea. The aluminum foil is a real puzzler. The oil was about 5000 miles old, and still looked quite good. A dark honey color, but certainly not black. The jellied residue is somthing I've never seen before, but I've never inspected an oil pick up screen before, being inside of the oil pan.

Needless to say, I used JB weld to glue the intake screen onto the end of the Fumoto oil drain valve.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
That would be a good idea. The aluminum foil is a real puzzler. The oil was about 5000 miles old, and still looked quite good. A dark honey color, but certainly not black. The jellied residue is somthing I've never seen before, but I've never inspected an oil pick up screen before, being inside of the oil pan.

Needless to say, I used JB weld to glue the intake screen onto the end of the Fumoto oil drain valve.

What color was the slime? Was it milky brown in color? That could signal a blown head gasket. The foil is a real puzzler, as far as I know, the head gasket is MLS, so it shouldn't have a foil layer. Don't know what in the engine would be foil? Hope I'm wrong....

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dark honey colored gel. Translucent. Not milky brown. I hope you are wrong too, WhiteNBlack08. If there were a blown head gasket, I would expect the oil to appear to be a different color altogether.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
...brutal is right..and as you said "about the size of a nickel" and made out of foil....the protective /seal that is used on most if not all the bottles sold in the world..the slime could be the paper backing that is attached to the foil...

jetfuel...CSI

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was a thin piece of foil. There did not appear to be any plastic film on the aluminum, unless that was the plastic jell on the screen. It removed fairly easily with Brake cleaner.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Did you show jet your engine a few weeks ago? Perhaps part of his tin foil hat fell in an open oil cap. :D

On a serious note. Run her til she blows. If the car seems to be OK, maybe it is just a one off weird happening. You don't use Quaker State do you? :p

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
..hey...while in Memphis we had dinner Monday and rode in his car but he never showed me the engine...

jetfuel...innocent...

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a half loaf of Onion rings, more than enough for two and to die for! There was some pretty darn good barbecue too, served up in a restaurant that used to be a two bay gas station. Each booth has an oversized color illustration of a fifties or earlier classic car that looks like a photograph but is an artists rendering. They are gorgeous. We had a five minute wait, but by the time we were finished, the wait times had increased to 45 to 60 minutes. The place was and usually is packed. It is the first Corky's of the chain.
'twas great as always to visit with a smart and fun friend.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As far as I know, no onion rings went in the tank. :D They were too good to waste on the BB.

The last oil change was valvoline full synthetic. Out of bottles at the Valvoline oil change place in a hurry right before the DRAGON.
With the fumoto drain valve and a strap-on :D oil wrench, I am now prepared to diy. I even have a recycling sealable oil drain pan.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had removed the oil plug with the pressed on oil screen cylinder on it in preparation for installation of the Fumoto oil drain valve.
I was horrified to find a piece of aluminum foil sucked into the hole on the end of the screen. In addition, there was a kind of jellied slime clogging up some of the screen! :eek:
It has been suggested that the screen is unnecessary. From this experience, not only will I continue to use the screen, I will now feel obligated to remove the Fumoto valve to Check and clean the oil pump intake screen. This really is a neat design as with other designs, you would have to drop the pan to check and or clean the oil pick up screen. The piece of aluminum foil was almost the size of a nickel sucked inside the open end of the screen.
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra which is supposed to keep the engine as clean as a Ferrari. :D come on, I know you've seen the ads.
I agree with the others, the foil likely came from a oil bottle. Now, let me give you some things to think about, and you see what you think.

As for the gelled slime, neither the oil you drained nor the oil you propose to use meets the Mercedes specification 229.5. If you do not think there is a difference, that is up to you.

The screen on the drain plug is the screen for the oil intake to the oil pump. The oil pump is located in the timing cover on the front of the engine. There is a vertical passage in the oil pan that goes from above the screen to the oil pump in the timing cover, with a o-ring seal between the oil pan and the timing cover. Anything the screen does not catch will likely get sucked into the oil pump. Two of the many things the oil pump should not eat are foil and gel.

Disclaimer: I am not advising you what you should or should not do. I am simply giving you information.

·
Super Moderator
28,765 Posts
Just a comment on the M-B 229.5 spec; this was a big deal to some folks early on and may still be to a few. How 229.5 applies to an engine made by Mitsubishi is the real question for me. As far as I know everything in the engine is pure Mitsu (as well as a few pieces on the outside.) Other than wanting to keep things consistent among all their various engines, I'm not sure why Mercedes specifies 229.5 for this engine. Mitsubishi surely doesn't.
Same disclaimer as you posted... :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Just a comment on the M-B 229.5 spec; this was a big deal to some folks early on and may still be to a few. How 229.5 applies to an engine made by Mitsubishi is the real question for me. As far as I know everything in the engine is pure Mitsu (as well as a few pieces on the outside.) Other than wanting to keep things consistent among all their various engines, I'm not sure why Mercedes specifies 229.5 for this engine. Mitsubishi surely doesn't.
Same disclaimer as you posted... :)
You make a good point. If I was a German engineer accustomed to producing things "just so", and I was to source a major component like a engine and was going to be required to warranty it, I would want it built to my specifications, within the framework of the original design. How much of that took place, if any, is unknown.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
We had a half loaf of Onion rings, more than enough for two and to die for! There was some pretty darn good barbecue too, served up in a restaurant that used to be a two bay gas station. Each booth has an oversized color illustration of a fifties or earlier classic car that looks like a photograph but is an artists rendering. They are gorgeous. We had a five minute wait, but by the time we were finished, the wait times had increased to 45 to 60 minutes. The place was and usually is packed. It is the first Corky's of the chain.
'twas great as always to visit with a smart and fun friend.
If your'e gonna talk about that much food here, you'd better bring enough for everybody.:p

I'd go along with the majority here.....foil from the oil bottle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts