Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with the AM radio? When I step on the accelerator, the AM makes a loud whirring noise. The loudness and pitch of the noise gets worse the harder I step on the gas pedal. It's like the electric motor is interfering with the radio, like the radio isn't shielded properly. Mine is the basic bottom of the line stereo with the pullout tray underneath. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Does anyone else have issues with the AM radio? When I step on the accelerator, the AM makes a loud whirring noise.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, been highly documented.

When taken in for repair, seems most smart Centers can't hear it - perhaps it's a design feature? :shrug:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Does anyone else have issues with the AM radio? When I step on the accelerator, the AM makes a loud whirring noise. The loudness and pitch of the noise gets worse the harder I step on the gas pedal. It's like the electric motor is interfering with the radio, like the radio isn't shielded properly. Mine is the basic bottom of the line stereo with the pullout tray underneath. Has anyone else experienced this?
Same radio here, and the noise only seems apparent in the lower end of the AM spectrum, below 800 kHz or so. Above that and it isn't noticeable to me unless I'm listening for it. Is your experience different?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't gone through the whole spectrum, I just thought it was funny and strange. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Does changing the radio to a different model or aftermarket radio fix this problem?

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
All my brand vehicles, have static noise AM band. That’s pretty normal.

No static tonight.... FM!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All my brand vehicles, have static noise AM band. That’s pretty normal.

No static tonight.... FM!
I'm not talking about static, I'm talking about a whirring noise that is directly related to how hard I press the accelerator. I'm guessing its interference from the magnet in the motor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've heard it's pretty common in a lot of EVs actually.

Tesla Model X doesn't even offer AM radio unless you can find it through the internet-based radio offerings.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I'm not talking about static, I'm talking about a whirring noise that is directly related to how hard I press the accelerator. I'm guessing its interference from the magnet in the motor.

The smarts motor acting like a radio station. Many moons ago. When I was a teen. My Mom would use her blender, in the kitchen. You could hear the whinnying, on the AM radio. On my 1964 Chevy. While it was in the garage. Even a hair dryer would set it off in the house.

AM radio.:shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts