Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
And a cnc mill laying around... Like the guy said at the end of the pictures...WOW...
As much as I like making trinkets, think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot as to go to that much work....:eek:
Very impressive workmanship...:cool:

·
Registered
946 Posts
My maternal grandfather...

..., an engineering officer in Kaiser Bill's navy, went through some sort of technical education in pre-WWI Germany. Part of the matriculation project was a requirement that he design and fabricate an intricate piece of machinery.

His choice was a vertical triple expansion steam engine, with all of the bells and whistles (scale steam chests, proportional cylinders (three, each of a greater diameter), reversing gear and all of that).

The model never left the old country, but I've seen photographs of it from a number of angles, and the workmanship would take your breath away. Aside from all of the bits and pieces (all proportional, all executed in alloy steel, and all completely functional), the decoration of the finished project (mostly through engine turning (that effect that you sometimes see on custom car dashes)) was a knockout job as well.

There are still hobbyists in England that do this quality of work (without the CNC equipment), but it's a dying hobby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts