Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through some regular smart car sources I check and I came across a Canadian fellow touting numbers he thinks to see when the car is launched and sold here in the US. Please see below:

For US people getting their first smart it will be just fine, and for those awaiting a Brabus or preparing to mod the car themselves, it

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it's anyone's guess but I guarantee one thing- this group is HIGHLY unrepresentative. After the initial group of early adapters are satisfied there is a great deal of resistance in the general public if my personal experience is any indication. Most people who find out I've reserved a Smartcar tell me they would never ride in it because something that small in their minds simply cannot be safe.

One proviso- if gas hits say $5/gallon which it could easily do if Bush decides bomb Iran then ALL bets are off.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Small cars

Most people who find out I've reserved a Smartcar tell me they would never ride in it because something that small in their minds simply cannot be safe.

One proviso- if gas hits say $5/gallon which it could easily do if Bush decides bomb Iran then ALL bets are off.
I have had small cars all my life and can tell you with experience that if you have your head screwed on straight and are a good defensive driver, the likelihood of getting squashed is MUCH less due to the fact that the smaller car enables avoiding the accident altogether due to their nimbleness.
Those who chose to think they can remain safe with their big gas hogs can simply pay the price....simple as that.:p

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I would think with unlimited production, the sales might be 30,000 the first year and 15 - 20,000 in subsequent years. Certainly, as others have mentioned, high gas prices and additional powertrains (turbo, CDI) would be needed to keep the sales rubust.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do agree that the CDI would be a big boost to sales. Going from a realistic 40 mpg with the gasoline model to 60-70 mpg with the diesel would make the sales proposition a lot stronger. I always rent a diesel in Europe and take it from me- a former 1975 VW rabbit diesel owner- they've come a long way with the new low pressure turbos and common rail injection systems.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
U.S. Diesels

Don't look for a smart diesel here anytime soon, if ever.

The EPA set a 2007 road diesel standard that includes passenger cars before all the required technology was available. They are hoping for emerging technology (progress), but it is still a ways off. The NOx control equipment remains a

·
Registered
264 Posts
You're probably correct Fish with current technology but I have read some articles regarding the fact that Honda has a 50 state diesel model coming in next year with the Accord that requires no add ons to meet the rules so perhaps there will be some advances down the road. I think also as long as Smart has a 2-3 year waiting list why bother with the diesel which suggests even if they can meet the rules technologically from a marketing perspective why bring in a complicated new model if they can't even build enough of the basic one?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Mitsubishi is doing something similar to Honda. But even without urea tanks and injectors, it is still a three component (but maybe not three discrete piece) system. I wonder if such a thing can be physically reduced in size to the extent that there is somewhere to put it in/under a smart - there still has to be a muffler there too. I hope it isn't a case of smart being undersized out of the ability to comply.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
What are some realistic numbers you think could happen if the production was available?
As mentioned by others, the first year will see the largest demand primarily due to the early adopters. The car has failed to yield significant sales in Europe, which is a far greener consumer market than here in the U.S. $5+/gallon fuel prices certainly will turn the fortune of this marque. Otherwise the sales figures will languish in the sub 30,000 unit/year range.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
IMHO, the Chevy Aveo (Korean) does not EVEN compare, it's ugly and cheezy. The Yaris is the closest car that'd match the Smart's Quality....but the dealers have them loaded up with unneeded options. It is my next choice if I can't get my Smarty in time. I can't wait till next Fall. :(

there are bigger, just as fuel-friendly, four-seater subcompacts out there that cost roughly the same or even less.
Nobody......I said nobody can match the Smarts Mileage. The best the Yaris can do is 34mpg avg.. Four seater usually means four-door which I hate. It's un-needed and makes for a less stylish vehicle. Again the Yaris Lift back is pretty cool to look at. and the Yaris will match the price $$ starting around $11,500.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
DRLs

I note the answer to a question that has been posed here previously - will the smarts have daytime running lights (DRLs). The video included within the MarketWatch article indicates that they will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lewis,
I just got back from Spain where I rented and drove some small Citroen 2 CD.
It is very small car with even smaller turbo diesel engine.
It runs very nice and even had some pickup.
I drove the heck out of it. For a week I was all over the place, I even went to town called Toledo (some 40-50 ml from Madrid).
I don't know how many miles I put on, but again I drove it a lot.
Last day I fill it up and it cost me 15 Eu to top the tank.
I love those small diesels.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I note the answer to a question that has been posed here previously - will the smarts have daytime running lights (DRLs). The video included within the MarketWatch article indicates that they will.
they should, and if unchanged from the 450, will be programmable on/off via the key fob (remote).

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
IMHO, the Chevy Aveo (Korean) does not EVEN compare, it's ugly and cheezy.

Nobody......I said nobody can match the Smarts Mileage. The best the Yaris can do is 34mpg avg..
almost 3 years later, you are still correct. Aveo was so cheezy they had to change it to the Sonic and the smarts' mileage is still very very hard to beat!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts