Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I strive to check/correct tire pressure about once a month.

Yesterday, while doing so, something a bit odd happened.

I have one of those 12VDC port pumps. After I'd added air to one of my tires, I removed the coupling. Immediately air started rushing out of the valve stem as though there was no valve in place.

I put my finger over the opening to curb the air loss. When I removed my finger the gush resumed. I replaced the coupling and turned the pump on, certain that I'd already lost a significant amount of air.

This time, when I removed the coupling there was no loss of air beyond the usual puff.

Is this valve on the fritz and needing to be replaced? Or maybe it just got stuck in the open position and it's ok now?

If I should replace it, are they pretty much universal?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'd say since OEM specs indicate the valve stem and the above mentioned service pack kit should be replaced anytime a tire is dismounted from the rim, it would be a smart idea to carry at least one of both the stem and a service pack in the car at all times. You never know when you might need one.
NCC, sounds like your Schrader valve is getting sticky.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You probably just bumped the core a little sideways when you removed the chuck. The core didn't seat when closing. Second time it seated. It happens often enough. Shraeder valves aren't exactly real precise high tech stuff. I wouldn't sweat it.

Valves should always be replaced when tires are replaced. Especially with the cheap limited lifespan junk that's coming from China lately. The cores don't usually fail it's the rubber on the stem. Of course with the valve now being a part of those dumb problem prone tire sensors it can get expensive.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The center stud in the coupling of some cheap air pumps does not alway line up correctly with the valve core. The core can get pushed sideways and stick open. I have had the same thing happen a time or two over the years. I just give the core a poke to pop it back into place.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Valve stems don't last forever. Sometimes the core just needs to be adjusted. Other times it's the stem. 2 stock valve stems have been cold weather slow leaks for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts