Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got to enjoy a sunny day here in central PA, with the 453 , then decided to put on the ac , out blows leaves and such . Off goes the blower . At home I opened up the cabin air filter to find it full of moss, leaves and some kind of hair . Out that came and vacuumed it out , the blower fan can be accessed by using two screw drivers to open up the recirculate door (looks like a clam shell) to access a view to the fan blades. Mine was packed with dry moss and leaves etc . I used small tube attachments to vacuum pieces of the nest enough that I could then use the bigger end of the vacuum to suck it out. I was successful , but it was a pain in the rear contorting yourself to do it . I set up a bunch of mouse traps inside the garage , and hope it doesn’t happen again . What a joy . My question is how in the hell did that critter get in there ? Where is the blower outside air coming from ? There has to be an inlet somewhere ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any pics of said screws? Or what all came off? I have the same problem now, ironically.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Update : to ease access , start car , turn on fan and hit recirculate , shut off immediately, this opens the clam shell door in the fan area , no need to remove any panels (like I did originally) . Just get a vacuum extensions that are small enough to reach inside to the blower fan blades . I still can’t figure out how this access was made by the unwelcome homesteader .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Update : to ease access , start car , turn on fan and hit recirculate , shut off immediately, this opens the clam shell door in the fan area , no need to remove any panels (like I did originally) . Just get a vacuum extensions that are small enough to reach inside to the blower fan blades . I still can’t figure out how this access was made by the unwelcome homesteader .

I had a similar situation occur on my truck several years ago. I think chipmunks were the culprit then. Worse yet the dry grass was packed around the blower motor's speed control resistor which can get hot enough to ignite this tinder.

Water which enters the cowl must drain out somewhere, typically behind the front wheels. This drainage point is the likely entrance.

In the case of my truck the critters then chewed through a plastic screen underneath the cowl to gain access to the air plenum. I don't know if the smart has a screen of some sort or not.

~toaster

1 - 4 of 4 Posts