Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am encountering a problem on my 451 1.0 Turbo from 2008.

We had a lot of rain last days and i noticed that i had a motor warning light..

So i decided to disconnect the battery to make it disappear, but when I removed the polystyrene footrest, i found some water near the battery mass.

I dry everything and put some paper towel to prevent water from flowing again on the battery mass.

After disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, i didn't had the warning light again.

But my problem is to find how to unclog the drain hole of the recirculation housing from where water is flowing.

I put some photos of my problem in attachments, thanks in advacnce for your help ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The source of most water intrusion into the battery compartment is from the A/C evaporator drain tube that exits into the battery compartment and then exits to the underside of the car. I would make sure this drain hose is clear as this is the easiest thing to correct. The hose that you want to check is the large black hose found just to the rear of the battery on the center tunnel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

Thank you for your answer, i already checked the drain tube near the battery and everything is fine here, i put an iron wire in the air conditionning box and it was not wet so i think the problem is situated above and i think i found where, the part number 180 is apparently also a drain

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
That is also a drain and should have a rubber cover on it with a cut in the bottom edge. when water gets in in there it should leak through the rubber out onto the ground unless it is clogged. unfortunately it is not easy to get to unless the front radiator is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you, I will try this weekend but if you tell me that i must remove the radiator, i'm not sure to do it myself ^^ i will see if i can get to without removing it and if i can't, i will ask a garage to do it..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

Good news, no need to disassemble the radiator, "just" remove the front plastic grid under the windscreen and we have access to the part n°170, from here its possible to clean the drain part n°180 by throwing something inside and put some water to verify the water go out under the car and it's perfect.

When i removed the front plastic gris, i saw that a small amount of water was stagnating but when it rains a lot, it fills up and overflowing in the car.

You can see where it is on the photos in attachment.

Smart Center are just fu**ing a***ole, they told me that there is not other drain than the one for air con..

They wanted me to bing my car and take 300€ to solve the problem i think !

They also didn't find how to make my 3 stroke paddle steering wheel working after paddle activation (200€), in fact i just had to change 2 wires in the connector ! thanks to evilution.co.uk, i finally succeed in making it works and i tell my Smart Center they apparently don't know about that, they're really not competent, they told me to change the steering wheel (800-900€) but i will also have the problem with the new if i changed it...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts