Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Morning,

I have a 2015 Smart Fortwo ED. This morning I came outside, unplugged the car from the charger, turned the key and I was greeted with many errors one was a "brake system failure" (I didnt hear it run), it mentioned a "HV System Workshop", "Do not tow", and then said to go for service. The traction battery was at 100% this morning. I did a quick google search and identified its the 12v battery.

I ran to the autozone picked up an H5 battery and swapped the original. The car now turns on, I can open the windows, the brake booster turns on but I am still getting a HV System Workshop error. The HV battery is still at 100%.

1. The car is now drivable - despite the error.

2. The car charges successfully from the 240v.

3. We regularly drive the car, it has 10,200 miles on it and it was last driven yesterday evening.

Searching this sub forum, I cant definitively find if there is a way to get past this error or if I have to take in.

I would really appreciate some direction on what to do next or how serious this error is.

Thank You

P.S. When I originally made this thread, the car wasnt drivable - it sat for 30 minutes after the battery swap and came back to life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Found this thread. Looks like its a trip to Mercedes with prayers they can reset it and upgrade the BMS in the process. Of course, more importantly it looks like this is not a BIG problem. Just a minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What if you disconnect your 12 V battery for 30 min? More a "try it" than an it might work.
To be honest. I'm wary of experimenting with it. Everything I am reading here says it's an error code written into some module that only the STAR tool from MB can clear.

I was just wondering if there was any development in the years since this issue has existed that would allow me to wipe it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fast try would be the cheap Autel MaxAP200. With this you could reaet already most of the easy failure. After this you need a Xentry or more exact the DAS Tool included for Smart 451. You can build this easy if you search for Pass Thru version and use a cheap Jtag 2354 Dongle like Openport2 in a chinese version for small money. Overall for 250 Bucks you even can get the luxus version :)
Depending where you are located there are often some MB fans which own the tool and can help out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts