Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not at THE END, after 9 years and 39,000 miles the OEM Continental ProContact 175/55 R15 tires needed to be retired!

After looking at the available options I stumbled upon a Kumho Ecsta PA31 195/50 R15 that is apparently not a stock Discount Tire inventory item? HOT price on DT Direct w/Memorial Weekend incentives - asked my local DT to match. The Manager Tim agreed, ordered a week ago and Saturday "Baby Got a New Pair of Shoes!"

Paul, my DT Crew Chief, w/attention to detail turned the DT Pit Crew loose on our MY08 451 cabrio "Silver Bullet." The crew was somewhat mystified by a smart with no wheel/tire stagger? After several huddles to clear that up, installation went as planned.

And to Discount Tire and our other SCoA supporting vendors a special THANKS!!

Note, the tire spec changes are negligible from OEM (5.5 J x 15 H2 wheels) and although about .75" wider, even with the Eibach spring upgrade the wider Kumho fits just fine w/no rubbing. This is a 50,000 mile DIRECTIONAL tire and the sidewall does have a rim guard bead.

Still in need of some break-in mileage, the initial impressions are "awesome" - softer ride, less road noise and the speedometer error has been reduced. My only regret is that I had not made this upgrade BEFORE road tripping to the Lima, OH April Fools Rally.

Pit stop pictures to follow . . .

195/50-15 Kumho Ecsta PA31 Tires

All in (TPMS rebuild + replacement certificates) less rebates net cost - $71 each.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ooh. Wish I caught this earlier.

They didn't recommend replacing the TPMS sensors as the batteries in them are 9 yrs old?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They didn't recommend replacing the TPMS sensors as the batteries in them are 9 yrs old?
Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, very aware of TPMS battery life and do accept the fact that I am on the back end of the power curve.

"Bullet" is a fair weather, low mileage garage queen so thought until I see issues I'd avoid the expenditure while playing the TPMS Lottery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts