Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've dealt with random battery discharge issues for years on my 2008 Passion. I've searched on here, but trying to find the real issue and the solution has been difficult. I discovered years ago that if I didn't use the "auto headlight & auto wiper" feature, it seemed to put a band aid on the problem. Well, now, even with following those precautions, it's dying overnight. Often needing to be jumped. Charging is fine. (new alternator last year) Battery is newer. All the basic stuff is correct.

One anomaly in the past has been the fog lights. I installed Factory Benz Driving Lights years ago and had a Mercedes Dealer activate the SAM for me. A few times over the months after, the driving lights would turn on automatically while in the garage. I have not seen this happen for some time though.

Any help would be appreciated. My kid is driving my 453 1st Edition now so I don't worry about him being stranded. I'd like to give my 10 mpg truck a rest and get my car back... LOL

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I've had battery discharge issues with all 3 smarts after a week or two of being parked. Sometimes they are ok for a month, other times they'll go dead in a few days. No rhyme or reason.

Two of them have auto lights/wipers which I "usually" make sure are off when I park. Two of them also have aftermarket (Carlsson) fog lights, both of which were activated via the SAM. Mercedes did the Orangecrate and a friend with a Star clone did the Applecrate. I've never seen the uncommanded turn-on behavior you described.

I leave a solar charger on the Applecrate (my Michigan car) when I go away for more than a couple of days. Sometimes in the winter, even with the solar charger, I may still need to jump it when I return. (Perhaps that's due to a lack of sun here in the frozen north!) I also keep a trickle charger on whichever of the two Florida smarts isn't being driven daily.

My best guess is that your battery is toast. There's no way a good battery will die overnight without a major draw, i.e. dome light, etc. The colder weather really saps them. Have yours tested. Some auto parts stores will come out to the car and put a high-rate discharge tester on the battery, while some want to put it on their test bench and charge it before testing. Normally they don't charge (money), no pun intended, for testing.

Between the 3 cars, I've replaced 4 batteries after anywhere from 6 to 18 months. One of them was a MB-branded battery!

I just replaced the Orangecrate's battery three weeks ago, of course it just exceeded the 3 year warranty by a month.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I will have the battery checked out. It's not that old. The weird thing is that some days it's fine and then the next 3 days, it require the booster pack to start it. No difference in driving, same pattern of driving every day. Other times, it can sit for a long weekend, and it starts Monday morning. It just seems like something is turning on and off during the night.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
!

John, you were right. Time flies when you're old. I swore that battery was only 2 years old....nope, FIVE! Autozone felt bad, the warranty ran out last month. They gave the discount I would have received if I had turned it in last month. I now know to turn it in at the 3 year mark for a full exchange.

It certainly had some bad cells in the battery. Hopefully, this will take care of the issue. :) I'm still leaving the auto wiper/lights off though! Thanks again

I've had battery discharge issues with all 3 smarts after a week or two of being parked. Sometimes they are ok for a month, other times they'll go dead in a few days. No rhyme or reason.

Two of them have auto lights/wipers which I "usually" make sure are off when I park. Two of them also have aftermarket (Carlsson) fog lights, both of which were activated via the SAM. Mercedes did the Orangecrate and a friend with a Star clone did the Applecrate. I've never seen the uncommanded turn-on behavior you described.

I leave a solar charger on the Applecrate (my Michigan car) when I go away for more than a couple of days. Sometimes in the winter, even with the solar charger, I may still need to jump it when I return. (Perhaps that's due to a lack of sun here in the frozen north!) I also keep a trickle charger on whichever of the two Florida smarts isn't being driven daily.

My best guess is that your battery is toast. There's no way a good battery will die overnight without a major draw, i.e. dome light, etc. The colder weather really saps them. Have yours tested. Some auto parts stores will come out to the car and put a high-rate discharge tester on the battery, while some want to put it on their test bench and charge it before testing. Normally they don't charge (money), no pun intended, for testing.

Between the 3 cars, I've replaced 4 batteries after anywhere from 6 to 18 months. One of them was a MB-branded battery!

I just replaced the Orangecrate's battery three weeks ago, of course it just exceeded the 3 year warranty by a month.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I returned to Detroit yesterday after the Thanksgiving holiday and was met with a completely dead battery in the Applecrate (solar charger be damned!). My portable jump starter wouldn't start it either. Luckily, the off-airport parking lot had a full-size jump start box.

The battery was 4 years old, with a three year warranty. I replaced the battery on the way to the office.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts