Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.:megaphone:While cruising through Isle of Wight I came upon another u pick berry farm, only it's blueberries. So, here's the idea, meet at Smithfield Station like last year, drive through Surry to Rt 31 down to Drewry Farm for some blueberry picking and then on to the Virginia Diner for lunch. Blueberries ripen later than strawberries so we can do both the strawberry picking and the blueberries. The farm says they open for blueberry picking in late June. I might recommend a cooler for the berries for when we have lunch. Any takers? I'm checking with the farm for when is the best time for picking before I decide on a date

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Any ice cream sales to go along with? The end of June sounds great.
It should not take that long to pick a sick stomach full.
I was always told that blueberries puts the most hair on your toes.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Jefferios, I'm not sure that there is a tool for picking blueberries. I've always done it by hand one by one or in clusters. Takes about an hour to get 2 - 3 gallons.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still don't have a date for them to open for picking but they agree that the picking season will be a couple weeks early, just like the strawberry picking going early. I'm thinking sometime mid June?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been in contact with Drewry Farms, they are opening up on June 23, only problem is a music festival that weekend. Let's try for June 30, jeffrios can you make it that day, and how early? Start point is Smithfield Station parking lot, Smithfield, Va. Route will be up rt 10 to Surry, pick up rt 31 to Drewry Farm for blueberries and then to Virginia Diner for lunch. From there we go our separate ways home.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Art,
This sounds like another good one. I will bring my blueberry picken pickers with me and "3 LUG". C U there.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Should be able to come for that one, since it looks like i am going to have to bail on the strawberry festival one. Choir practice is on the same saturday and cannot miss this one.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I should be able to make it. As long as its after 11am I should be fine. We should meed somewhere in Portsmouth or Chesapeake before we go there to caravan.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's way out of my way, anybody want to caravan to Smithfield can set their own time. I'll be at Smithfield Station at 11:30 and leave at 11:45 for anybody that wants to meet there.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smithfield Olden Days is this weekend, I'd still like to meet at Smithfield Station but it might be a little crowded in the parking lot. 11:30ish and our route might have to detour around Smithfield due to the festivities. Anybody still interested in the trip?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,032 Posts
Bad News, good news...

All,

Temperature is supposed to be 101 on Saturday, June 30th.

Weather dot com says 89 degrees on July 7th...

How about we postpone this for one week?

Same bat time, same bat place, same bat channel....
Saturday 07 July 2012...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeffrios, you're the expert, wht's the temp going to be in Isle of Wight Saturday? I'd think about next Satuday but I've got a 4 wheel brake change starting 7:30 AM on the 7th.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Well the high will be basically 100 tomorrow in the afternoon with the heat index (feels like) temperature over 106. We might be setting a record for the day. Next week is looking like a high of mid to lower 90s but its still a ways out to be sure on that yet.

At the time we are out there The temp should be near 95 degrees.

I don't think you'll be able to do the brake change and the rally in the same day. Sounds like you would be tight on time?

So are we cancelling this week?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to take so long in replying, I think we need to cancel tomorrow, I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone coming down with heat sickness or anything, maybe we can do a picnic when it's cooler.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That and the possibility of too many trees down and on top of roads and such. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but we got smacked pretty hard with a nasty thunderstorm, and power outages to boot. I just got back online temporarily at my sisters house. My home is still out of power. Keep me updated on this event. Love to drop in on it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There were a lot of trees down in my neighborhood but we came out unscathed. A robin nesting in our tree out front didn't even get blown from her babies. The thunderstorm cooled things off a bit, instead of the 100+ temps it was high 90's. Still a little bit hot and muggy though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts