·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By msnbc.com staff and wire reports

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii -- Under calm skies 70 years to the day of the attack on Pearl Harbor, about 120 survivors gathered Wednesday to mark the anniversary with ceremonies that began with a moment of silence for the 2,400 Americans who lost their lives.

And towards the end, it came with an announcement that seemed inevitable: The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association will disband on Dec. 31.

Association President William Muehleib cited the age and poor health of remaining members.

"It was time. Some of the requirements became a burden," Muehleib said after the ceremony.

The association has 2,700 members but there are an estimated 7,000 to 8,000 Pearl Harbor survivors. Local chapters will function as long as they have members and survivors can gather socially, but they will no longer have a formal, national group that organizes an annual trip for the anniversary.
:)

U.S. News - At 70th anniversary, Pearl Harbor survivors' group prepares to disband

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
One of my brothers-in-law actually got to do his last re-enlistment on the Arizona. Said it was one of the highlights of his career (which was real impressive all on its own)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It's a strange world we live in. On December 7, 1941, the American view of Japan was of anger and hate over the attack.

My Father served in the Pacific during WW II and he spoke of having to deal with the endless bombings from the Japanese Aircraft. In his words, "It was as if they were trying to sink the whole island we were on."

After the war he was sent into Japan with the Army of Occupation and his view of the people changed radically. Today, most of us would not even think of speaking ill of today's people of Japan.

All I can say is it was a different world back then and those who where there in the heat of action will not be forgotten.

Bob Diaz

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Dad likes Japan

It's a strange world we live in. On December 7, 1941, the American view of Japan was of anger and hate over the attack.

My Father served in the Pacific during WW II and he spoke of having to deal with the endless bombings from the Japanese Aircraft. In his words, "It was as if they were trying to sink the whole island we were on."

After the war he was sent into Japan with the Army of Occupation and his view of the people changed radically. Today, most of us would not even think of speaking ill of today's people of Japan.

All I can say is it was a different world back then and those who where there in the heat of action will not be forgotten.

Bob Diaz
My Dad was in WWII. He was a mecahnic in the Army Air Corps. He holds no ill will toward Japan. He has been over to Japan on business a couple of times and really enjoyed it. For awhile he tried to learn Japanese. :cool:

Like here, I wonder how many of Japanese WWII veterans are still around.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Like here, I wonder how many of Japanese WWII veterans are still around.
While I was in Tokyo on business a couple of Augusts ago, I was fortunate enough to be asked if I'd like to tour the Yasukuni Shrine and Yushukan (War Museum) in Shinjuku Prefecture. It was an incredibly interesting and eye-opening experience, seeing World War Two from the Japanese point of view...

There are still many Japanese WWII vets around, as so many Japanese were conscripted for home defense as the war effort moved closer and closer to the Home Islands.

As the son of a Pacific Theatre bomber pilot, I was deeply honored to be asked if I would like to join with several of those Japanese veterans to pray for peace, that day in the Yakusuni Shrine.

And FWIW, the date of my birth is December 7th.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i remember a few Japanese nationals in attendance when the Enola Gay exhibit opened at the Smithsonian. To them; it was not much more than a history lesson.
Happy belated birthday , The Rig

1 - 20 of 24 Posts