Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While surfing the web I came across this, www.backofthedragon.com and I was wondering if anybody drove this in a smart. Supposedly 216 curves in 32 miles, It runs from Tazewell, Va to Marion, Va and sounds like it might make a nice weekend get together for Va and NC smart drivers. It looks like rt 16 is very close to WVa. It might make a side trip for northeasterners to/from the OTD IV. I want to try it this spring but make a weekend out of it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
While surfing the web I came across this, www.backofthedragon.com and I was wondering if anybody drove this in a smart. Supposedly 216 curves in 32 miles, It runs from Tazewell, Va to Marion, Va and sounds like it might make a nice weekend get together for Va and NC smart drivers. It looks like rt 16 is very close to WVa. It might make a side trip for northeasterners to/from the OTD IV. I want to try it this spring but make a weekend out of it.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Id be up for such a run.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
Cool. A different Dragon and closer to home. :) Actually, a much more northern section of Rt 16 runs right through Clay County where I live and it keeps going all the way to the Ohio river near Marietta, OH. Those are some rural areas of WV and it's probably similar through VA. Should be nice and twisty!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's 318 curves in 11 miles. A lot of fun even if raining. Be careful tho - It can snow up there near the border into late Spring.
That's the tail of the dragon, we're talking dragon's back, 216 curves in 32 miles. Not as curvy, different location, not as well known, also in Va not NC

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lessee, if I left after work on a Friday, drive rt 58 until dark, find a motel and drive it Saturday morning...yeah it's doable, maybe twice, then back on 58 to home. Yeehaa! Road trip! maybe even get a dragonmaster sticker fro the 'Rover

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought of something bad

I got it. We have The Tail - The Back - what about the Head with those teeth and the fire. Our plastic bods and limited warranty don't have a chance. That would be bad to the bone - or charcoal...whatever.

·
5,297 Posts
I got it. We have The Tail - The Back - what about the Head with those teeth and the fire. Our plastic bods and limited warranty don't have a chance. That would be bad to the bone - or charcoal...whatever.
Isn't there a volcano somewhere with a fun drive to the top? Oregon?:wink:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I know some jeep trails that would probably qualify...

The south road visible on this map, from South Mineral campground up to south park. You could get a smart up it, but you'd have to pay some real attention to not tearing up the underside.

(What is Google Maps thinking? They show a proper road headed up to the Ice Lake basins... it's a trail. Good luck getting anything with 4 wheels up it.)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Isn't there a volcano somewhere with a fun drive to the top? Oregon?:wink:
Sure is. Was just there this past Sept. Crater Lake Oregon. One can drive all around the rim of this former volcano. Of course now it's filled with this beautifully deep blue water. I believe it's 2000 ft. deep with clarity down to 170 ft.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about a trifecta? Skyline Drive (the whole 105 miles), Back of the Dragon & Tail of the Dragon? Makes for a nice 4 day weekend, it'd just about be perfecta!:rofl2:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thompson's Market on Rt 16 sells Back of the Dragon stuff as well as 100% gas, no ethanol. I'll have to try some of that!
I'm thinking of trying the back of the Dragon on Memorial Day weekend, find a motel and spend the weekend. Sound interesting to anybody? It's near Hungry Mother State Park so maybe a little side trip there? In fact HMSP is accessed from rt 16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts