Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got a 2012 Passion Cabrio that has unfortunately been having the ESP light kick on while driving. Started a week ago (I've had the car for 3 weeks total now, lol) while sitting at a stop light and now it comes on every time I pull out of the garage. I've checked the main things like battery voltage (12.8v while off and just under 14v while running), checked the ABS reluctor rings and cleaned all 4 wheel sensors, pulled the seat out and inspected the TCM (which was dry and corrosion free), and I checked the wires and connectors going to and from the transmission and TCM and all of those seem fine.
I have not noticed any issues with the brake lights as of yet.

I picked up one of those iCarsoft MBII readers and here's some of the codes I've managed to pull off of it:

U0122- No or incorrect CAN message from ESP control unit
C1316- CAN communication to N15/6 Sprintshift control module is faulty
C1300- CAN bus off
C1301- Short circuit or open circuit of CAN wires
C1446- Communication fault with component Yaw rate sensor
U0073- CAN bus off
U0100- Lost communication with ECM/PCM A
U0103- Lost communication with Gear Shift Control Module A
U0001- CAN bus fault
U0103- No or incorrect CAN message from N15/5 Electronic Selector Lever Module control unit
U1113- Terminal 15 signal on CAN bus is missing or faulty
U0101- Communication with control unit "Transmission" has a malfunction

I'm good at fixing mechanical issues, not so much at tracing electrical issues so any insight would be helpful. I have read through every other thread on this topic already. I will begrudgingly take it to the dealer if I absolutely have to, but would like to avoid as like most people, I am not made of money.

·
Super Moderator
28,792 Posts
Some of those may be old codes - you can try clearing them with your scanner and seeing if any reset.

U0122- No or incorrect CAN message from ESP control unit and
C1446- Communication fault with component Yaw rate sensor seem like the only two that would involve the ESP. :shrug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of those may be old codes - you can try clearing them with your scanner and seeing if any reset.

U0122- No or incorrect CAN message from ESP control unit and
C1446- Communication fault with component Yaw rate sensor seem like the only two that would involve the ESP. :shrug:
Thanks, I will try that and see which ones remain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I cleared the codes yesterday before going home and read them again when I got to work this morning. About a 30 min drive each way.

So far these ones are sticking around:
U0100- No or incorrect CAN message from Engine Control Module
C1301- Short circuit or open circuit of CAN wires
C1446- Communication fault with component Yaw rate sensor

So looks like the Yaw sensor could be the culprit? That might make sense because I noticed that the light kicked on the exact moment I took a normal right turn this morning.
I'll check the wires and connections for it tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small update.
I sourced a replacement Yaw sensor from Ebay and installed it. Light now comes on immediately upon starting car and ESP is off, but codes for the yaw sensor had cleared. I put the original one back on and the original symptoms returned. It is entirely possible I got a defective/damaged unit, or there is some sort of learn procedure or calibration the dealer needs to do? IDK

I pulled the belly pan off and checked all of the wires and connections I could see and everything looked perfectly fine, nothing is chaffed or binding or corroded.

I figured while I was down there I should check the Clutch Actuator lube situation and I was glad I did, completely bone dry, not a spot of grease in it. Liberally applied white lithium before reinstalling. Didn't seem to help anything, but gives me some peace of mind.

Pulled the SAM unit down and inspected all of the connections and fuses, all of which looked perfectly fine. (But now my passenger headlight is out, which I'm sure is just a coincidence)

I'm running out of things to check, might just end up taking it in to the local Mercedes dealership and see if their STAR machine can figure out the issue.. Anyone have any idea what having them hook it up to their machine might run me?

·
Registered
339 Posts
In many cases, the SAM Needs reprogramming after a new part is installed. I just found this out after replacing an ABS pump

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small update. Currently have the car at the dealership here in Columbus getting looked at. They say its the Steering Angle Sensor and are replacing it to the tune of $700. So we'll see if this fixes the issues.
Here's the estimate they gave me, including four new tires and a new motor mount.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,499 Posts
Convenient to get everything done at once while the car is in the shop, but "WOW," they sure are proud of their services. The tire work including the alignment you can get for a fraction of their quoted price. So much of the 60K service can be an easy DIY operation too.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,711 Posts
Hi all, I've got a 2012 Passion Cabrio that has unfortunately been having the ESP light kick on while driving. Started a week ago (I've had the car for 3 weeks total now, lol) while sitting at a stop light and now it comes on every time I pull out of the garage.

I will begrudgingly take it to the dealer if I absolutely have to, but would like to avoid as like most people, I am not made of money.
Here's the estimate they gave me, including four new tires and a new motor mount.
$2,808 OUCH! Issues after only 2 weeks of ownership - was this a Private Party purchase or Dealer, no warranty?

Might try for a little help from your friends . . .

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f216/125-off-250-vehicle-maintence-m-b-151634/

https://www.mercedesbenzofeaston.com/service/service-specials/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$2,808 OUCH! Issues after only 2 weeks of ownership - was this a Private Party purchase or Dealer, no warranty?

Might try for a little help from your friends . . .

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f216/125-off-250-vehicle-maintence-m-b-151634/

https://www.mercedesbenzofeaston.com/service/service-specials/

It was a private party, no warranty.
Thanks for that link for the service special, I was able to sign up and they accepted the $125 off of service so I was able to get it fixed for just under $600 out the door.

And the new Steering Angle Sensor seems to have been the culprit all along, no more issues at all now! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts