Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I dropped my smart off to have the front end alignment checked as I wore through a set of tires pretty darn fast, and they wore on the inside edges badly....

2 hours later, I got a call saying they couldn't align my car. fearing the worst, I asked why and was told that my car was too small to fit on their machine! I have never heard of a car that was too small for anything. Apparently they need a special adapter to make up for the smaller width of the car to fit their alignment machine. Instead of the $66 alignment, I need to got to a dealer and pay $170 for the same alignment (with the special adapter)

:shrug:

The joys of living in a small town I guess.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had mine done at a local shop ( very rural farm country ) . They had a drive up onto rack style alignment system , since my car is lowered they let me drive my Smart onto the rack while watching for clearance issues .. I just cleared , bearly, and once I was on the centering rings , they mounted up the tools , they did have to use a special extender to allow front measurement due to my Lorinser front air dam blocking the sensors , but they had no problem doing the alignment on their standard rack . $60 bucks later , I’m happy with the results . I think some people just get overwhelmed with the size and lack of experience doing any work on the Smart’s .

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts
The joys of living in a small town I guess.
Small town living and THE JOYS of owning an "exotic" two door, niche, French/German import!

Not sure where you are in Southern Minnesota (where nothing is nearby) but surely a "tire alignment" Google search might offer up some options?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there are a few shops around that also do alignments, but most places around here screw things up more than fix things. I usually do my own work just because I end up re-doing repairs I take in to have done. Just been busy lately with work and just plain life.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Had my 453 aligned last Winter because of improper left front tire wear. Business had just opened a few months before that and had a brand new machine. No issues but the 453 is wider.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Small town living and THE JOYS of owning an "exotic" two door, niche, French/German import!
You can tell everyone you have a German, rear wheel drive, rear engine, two seater. They will think you have a 911.

We've been travelling two weeks through Ecuador and Peru, and not one smart car sighting, though there are many small vehicles here. We're in Cusco right now and this is the **perfect** place for a smart ED. All hills, super narrow roads, 11,000 feet altitude, $5 gallon gas.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Lunch on you next time I’m in MN. (I’m easy, hot dog combo at Sam’s Club or Costco is fine). Just kidding, no meal necessary....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts