Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another first for me: I changed the dome light in my Passion. And it was just as described in the owners manual. Go figure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good friend had one made into a hot rod when we were in high school 45 years ago. I always wanted one but never found the right ar when I had the time to build it. Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wow! What a young crowd. I graduated from high school in 1955 and university in 1959.
Never financed any automobile & used to show young kids how to buy what they could afford for cash, then put the car payment, required for a financed car, in the bank every month. Interest in those days would be on their side and, before they knew it, they could afford a newer car and pay cash. That discipline will eventually get you a house, if interest rates are ever seen at 8% again. Besides, no need for anything but liability insurance on a beater. More savings to put in the bank.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It was among many smart choices. AMC/Nash made the American and there were a few other, smaller and more economical cars available then. However, it was the era of huge V8 four-door sedans and station wagons. We had two Buick convertibles, a 1948 and a 1949, which I got as a wedding gift. It had no AC, so my arrival in Texas, in August 1959, as a young Air Force officer, caused me to trade it immediately. We gave no thought to the price of gasoline; it was almost free. So, we got a 1951 Buick Roadmaster with AC. I think the front bumper must have weighed as much as a smart car. Those small, economy cars were ahead of their time and vanished. Sadly, there is still a lot of that attitude in the USA. I was always amazed, in my travels in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, at the fine small cars available, even in luxury models, made by the big three but not available in the USA. In Japan, I lusted after some of their cars and vans in the early 1970s, which we could not buy either. That still is true; lots more choices in other countries. It is simple protectionism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts