Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 with 61k miles. Fuel pump springs a leak - big leak. In for service at independent mechanic.

I sent Mercedes a copy of the Repair Order requesting financial assistance.

Spoke with their customer service department of lack of customer care - and they refuse to reimburse any dollars - because - I was not fully part of Mercedes' 'garden wall' of purchase and service. Mercedes could loose a few future customers with this corporate stance.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
2012 with 61k miles. Fuel pump springs a leak - big leak. In for service at independent mechanic.

I sent Mercedes a copy of the Repair Order requesting financial assistance.

Spoke with their customer service department of lack of customer care - and they refuse to reimburse any dollars - because - I was not fully part of Mercedes' 'garden wall' of purchase and service. Mercedes could loose a few future customers with this corporate stance.

It's unfortunate that you had a fuel pump issue, from leaking or no longer pumping, but fuel pumps going out is an everyday occurrence with gasoline powered vehicle's regardless of make or model. If your vehicle is out of warranty, the repair costs are up to you. A model year 2012 smart came with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's unfortunate that you had a fuel pump issue, from leaking or no longer pumping, but fuel pumps going out is an everyday occurrence with gasoline powered vehicle's regardless of make or model. If your vehicle is out of warranty, the repair costs are up to you. A model year 2012 smart came with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.
What you don't understand in your defense of Mercedes, which is kinda sad that you defended Mercedes - is that I was told, since I was not part of the Mercedes purchase and service chain that I would not be acknowledged, if I had been a good Mercedes customer then they would have considered my request - Mercedes rep quote, not mine.

One of their qualifiers in an email Mercedes sent me was - customer loyalty - not brand ownership.

If you find after the warranty goes out, that Mercedes service is too expensive, or their service facility is not stellar to deal with, this does not sit well with their customer service.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
To be fair, that's the other side of the coin when making the decision not to use the dealerships for routine service. Whether it's "fair" is another question, but it's no secret in the Mercedes world that building a relationship with the dealer can pay off in a variety of ways. Just my .02. :)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
***General rant to follow, not directed at the original post*** :nerd:

A quick way to scare off any free repairs is to have an entitled attitude, even if the entitled attitude is justified. The reason why is that MB / dealers are SOOO used to folks giving them project vehicles that were tampered with, and most, if not all states have laws that require Work Authorizations to be signed.

Once these "$0" Work Authorizations are signed, the dealer is on the hook for vehicle work and things can snowball from there. What if the dealer tech has the vehicle up on a lift and realizes that a prior shop had disconnected everything and put things back together sloppily, literally causing the needed repair issue? What if, there are bolts or screws that are cross threaded or electrical wires have been spliced into?

If the car is say, 5 years old and 70k miles on the road, an owner may feel entitled to a free fuel pump after having an expectation of a longer interval between fuel pumps. Nothing wrong with that expectation. However on the flip side, accepting responsibility for the free repair work also means accepting responsibility for anything and everything else that can potentially go wrong down the line. Up to and including vehicle damage, scratched paint, damaged interior, technician injury, lawsuits, etc, etc, not to mention it is quite conceivable that the owner sabotaged the car with 80 octane fuel. An extreme example, yes, but it definitely happens.

There are just a certain percentage of folks who will manipulate and lie about the vehicle history prior to bringing it in for free work. That's why having an attitude, even if it may be justified, any attitude is not going to work in your favor if your vehicle is out of warranty. Presenting yourself like an agreeable, likeable, trustworthy client, is the best way to go. A history at a local dealership may be a good way to demonstrate that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the veiled 'attitude' ref. No intent for a free repair. However this vehicle has had major issues from the day I purchased it. Granted those items were taken care of under warranty. With continued issues, I requested Mercedes to pitch in on the repair. Proper after care creates loyalty.

The Mercedes rep I spoke with on the phone was already preprogrammed with a 'No' response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts