Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Auto check found 7 records, whatever that means.
Really doesn't mean anything without reading the report...this Smart is being offered by a franchised Mercedes Dealership...so I assume the vehicle has been inspected thoroughly for any existing problems...and it's within the factory warranty period in case they missed anything

Update...this Smart is being offered by an independent Dealership...not a franchised Mercedes Dealership!

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 days left on this eBay listing...my best guess is that $9,500 will purchase this Smart...what a great buy! :D

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Really doesn't mean anything without reading the report...this Smart is being offered by a franchised Mercedes Dealership...so I assume the vehicle has been inspected thoroughly for any existing problems...and it's within the factory warranty period in case they missed anything!
:rolleyes:

On the bright :sunshine: side, it DOES have plenty of warranty left :D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Really doesn't mean anything without reading the report...this Smart is being offered by a franchised Mercedes Dealership... so I assume the vehicle has been inspected thoroughly for any existing problems...and it's within the factory warranty period in case they missed anything!
And CarFox sez

We have
13 Records for this 2013 SMART FORTWO PURE/PASSION...

WMEEJ3BA9DK588518 - Free VIN Check from CARFAX

13 seems rather excessive for one year and 4,100 miles? :shrug:

"Clear title" but do remember that Superstorm Sandy went through this region and may have visited this smart?

Not sure that ZOOM Auto Group, (aka Driven Motor Cars) Parsippany, NJ is "a franchised Mercedes Dealership?" :confused:

Odd that they show paddle shifters yet list the following "option" . . .

P21 Cruise Control PKG $280.00
trip computer
3-spoke leather steering wheel w/cruise control

Let the BUYER BEWARE . . .

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the update...my bad...it appear the seller is not a franchised MB dealership!

I saw the Benz logo in their listing...and obviously made the wrong assumption! :eek:

FYI...any buyer of a used vehicle should ask for a written vehicle inspection before they purchase it...this is just good common sense!

If it's a private owner listing...take it to a reputable dealership for an inspection before you close the deal...even if you have to invest a $100 for a written inspection report...it's worth the peace of mind!

·
17,352 Posts
Yep, the 2013s were available long before Sandy hit. And with 13 records on the Carfax, I'd definitely be very very skeptical...

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, the 2013s were available long before Sandy hit. And with 13 records on the Carfax, I'd definitely be very very skeptical...
It's a Federal law that all flood damaged vehicles must be disclosed by the selling dealership in writing...and of course the manufacturer warranty would no longer be valid!

No reputable dealership would ever sell a flood damaged with out disclosing it in their listing...too much liability!

This problem would also be indicated on the Carfax report...and would result in a branded title!

·
17,352 Posts
True. However, do you remember Hurricane Katrina?

Cars were submerged underwater, were retrieved, got cleaned out, then were sold at dealerships around the country with illegally "washed" VINs.

The dealerships had no clue :)eek:) they had a Katrina flood damaged car and their VINs were squeaky clean with maybe only a crash or something to report.

To the naked eye, these cars were exceptional deals, some practically brand new cars for dirt cheap. But what they really were? Disasters waiting to happen.

Not saying this is a Sandy car, but there could be some shenanigans here...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It's a Federal law that all flood damaged vehicles must be disclosed by the selling dealership in writing...and of course the manufacturer warranty would no longer be valid!

No reputable dealership would ever sell a flood damaged with out disclosing it in their listing...too much liability!
Right, (with apologies to the law abiding citizens) remember that this is New Jersey where laws are never broken? :wink:

It's also illegal to rollback an odometer but that never happens. :rolleyes:

Sadly, not all "dealerships" are reputable.

CarFax is a good "indicator" but it can only report what was REPORTED and such requirements vary by state.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True. However, do you remember Hurricane Katrina?

Cars were submerged underwater, were retrieved, got cleaned out, then were sold at dealerships around the country with illegally "washed" VINs.

The dealerships had no clue :)eek:) they had a Katrina flood damaged car and their VINs were squeaky clean with maybe only a crash or something to report.

To the naked eye, these cars were exceptional deals, some practically brand new cars for dirt cheap. But what they really were? Disasters waiting to happen.

Not saying this is a Sandy car, but there could be some shenanigans here...
Hey Neon...as a retired insider in the Automobile industry (20 years)...I can assure you most of these report are urban legends...the bad apples are usually private individual that are not subject to Federal regulations...Dealerships have lots of experience in spotting flood damaged vehicles!

·
17,352 Posts
Myth? This is something that is very well known, just like Odometer rollback.

Flood-damaged Vehicles | Governor's Office of Consumer Protection

These may have been the property of dealers, fleet owners, or individuals and may have been written off as “salvage” or “totaled” by insurance companies in other states, though this may not appear on the title.

Jack Kain, Chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, estimates that half of the 570,000 vehicles sustaining flood damage from Katrina will be repaired and sold to unsuspecting consumers and dealers in a scenario that he hopes will prompt action by the federal government.

With new or recently-shampooed upholstery and carpeting, and perhaps some body work, the damage on these vehicles may be very well disguised and difficult for even a professional to detect. Nonetheless, electrical problems are practically guaranteed, and the brakes, airbags and computer system may have been seriously compromised.
I'm fairly certain many dealers are willing to ignore signs to make a quick buck...

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right, (with apologies to the law abiding citizens) remember that this is New Jersey where laws are never broken? :wink:

It's also illegal to rollback an odometer but that never happens. :rolleyes:

Sadly, not all "dealerships" are reputable.

CarFax is a good "indicator" but it can only report what was REPORTED and such requirements vary by state.
Hummm...I thought everyone in New Jersey was law abiding!! :D

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Myth? This is something that is very well known, just like Odometer rollback.

Flood-damaged Vehicles | Governor's Office of Consumer Protection

I'm fairly certain many dealers are willing to ignore signs to make a quick buck...
Most of the offenders were private parties who reconditioned the flood vehicles...and sold them privately after completing the work!

A reputable franchised dealership would never involve itself in retailing vehicles with a flood damage history...these vehicles are very easy to identify!

Additionally...selling flood damaged vehicles would open the dealership to costly lawsuits!

·
17,352 Posts
Most of the offenders were private parties who reconditioned the flood vehicles...and sold them privately after completing the work!

A reputable franchised dealership would never involve itself in retailing vehicles with a flood damage history...these vehicles are very easy to identify!

Additionally...selling flood damaged vehicles would open the dealership to costly lawsuits!
The keywords here: "With a flood damage history".

My point in this is that people and/or companies are washing these cars' VINs and titles so that they do not show up as a flood damaged car.

And obviously, dealerships are either ignorant of the signs of flood damage, or just don't care.

Hurricane Sandy Damaged Cars Now Reaching Michigan Used Car Lots

No, it's not right, yes it's illegal, yes it's stupid...but it's happening anyway. :(

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
This problem would also be indicated on the Carfax report...and would result in a branded title!
For an example of errors and omission, please click on the CarFax link provided below. Shows just how accurate their information can be . . .

CARFAX Odometer Check

Please FACT CHECK this one item on the smart in question . . .

Manufactured In:

This my friend is some pretty basic stuff . . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts