Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Andy here.

Just got my 2010 Passion: Warm Grey Pearl; Piano Black trim with chrome accents on gas cover and side mirrors. Previous owner added KOOL stainless steel "spears" coming out of the rear tow hook-ups. "Like New" condition and runs fantastic! (Pictures later.) 61,000 miles and a very good price. I'm in love.

Or, love at first sight. I'm not much of a driver and have pretty much used public transport or "the kindness of others" most of my life. Except for an Oldsmobile 442 in the '70's and a Corolla in 2000-2003, this is only the 3rd car I've owned in my 65 years. Later mid-life crisis? Maybe, but I'm having so much fun.

Originally from Madison, WI, now I'm in the North Woods of Wisconsin. I was driving by the used car lot down the road (in my borrowed Prius) and noticed this charming little car out in front. I just had to have it. I knew n-o-t-h-i-n-g. But 1 week later, here I am. And Evilution and Genuine Mercedes Parts and Genuine Smart Online Store and O'Reilly Auto Parts and Amazon, Amazon, Amazon... This is as infectious as my other current obsession with high-end headphones and audio gear. Although, I've spent 3 times as much money on my collection of headphones as I did for this car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have an ulterior motive. I want to ask several questions about mechanical stuff, but I need to have my first 3 posts under my belt to post a link to another member's post to be able to make sense of my question blah, blah, blah... so please forgive and bear with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K. Post No. 3.

Again, sorry and please forgive me, but I really need to get these questions answered so I can spend more money on my baby.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Oh great!! another newbie!!! next he will want to know about the third cup holder and the secret compartment... Oh well... Welcome to the club! enjoy driving that car!!

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
...oK people...the man said Elvis is in the building so BACK OFF...
...Andy ...you'll have to excuse the patients of the asylum....do to some cuts in health care benefits they are getting placebos and not the real "medication" they need..(regular leaded and not premium)
...go ahead and ask away anything your heart desires...

Jetfuel...blue suede shoes on.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh great!! another newbie!!! next he will want to know about the third cup holder and the secret compartment... Oh well... Welcome to the club! enjoy driving that car!!
Well, I don't drink...while driving 0:)

and

Your secrets are safe with me >:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...oK people...the man said Elvis is in the building so BACK OFF...
...Andy ...you'll have to excuse the patients of the asylum....do to some cuts in health care benefits they are getting placebos and not the real "medication" they need..(regular leaded and not premium)
...go ahead and ask away anything your heart desires...

Jetfuel...blue suede shoes on.....

Well..having just gone on Medicare and now I'm scared to death--almost literally...let's move on to religion 1poke

Just Kidding!!

Seriously, it's pretty presumptuous of me to quote The King, so forgive my arrogance.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I probably should start new threads, but I think I'll just mention a couple of things here that I am keeping an eye on 1 week into my new found world of the Smart Car.

My 2010 Passion Coupe w/ 61,000 mi. has two very slight leaks: 1 in the washer fluid tank and 1 in the coolant reservoir--which I'm not sure even qualifies as a leak. On the bright side, if/when I decide they need fixing, they can both be done at the same time and require the same procedures for access and repair. Ya know--2 birds with 1 stone maybe? It's a 10-hour round trip to the nearest Smart Service Center. (Madison, WI)

The washer fluid tank has a visible fast leak (which I've read is not uncommon), but stops leaking about 1" above the seam in the tank which leaves plenty of fluid in the tank for months of driving pleasure. And I use the washer frequently--a little obsessive about a clean windshield. It's just the thought that a leak has started and when does it fail completely...

The coolant reservoir could be more problematic since it's an essential part of the whole operation, but the leak might not even be a leak. Twice in a week, I have found the level to be slightly below the "Minimum" line (right at the seam line) and twice I have topped it off to halfway between the min and max line. If I let the car sit for a day after topping it off, nothing changes and I see no sign of leakage anywhere. After driving for 45 minutes and letting it sit over night, the level lands right at the seam again. No sign of leakage anywhere. Cap is on as tight as I dare tighten it. Could movement slosh things around to a leaking point? Does coolant "burn off" or anything--remember, I know n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Oh, and I don't see any signs of leaking or steaming or anything--if that's a thing--in, around, under the radiator, from what little I can see of it.

Since it never falls below that magic seam line (where there are no visible signs of a leak), I'm going to keep a close eye on it and let it go for now, but always with the thought of a costly repair in the back of my mind.

How's that for a plan? Living on the edge :blowingup:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Coolant reservoir dropping down to the lower line is normal. Good idea to periodically check the cap & make sure it is snug. Your windshield washer reservoir probably froze at some point causing it to crack. Some people have successfully patched them using a plastic milk carton for the patch material & a plastic welding iron. Replacement of the reservoir is a bit difficult.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Andy, since the washer fluid reservoir isn't pressurized, you could clean the surface and apply a bead of sealant to the outside surface. That should stop the leak and potentially help alleviate a bit of the stress that is causing the crack to propagate.

As far as the coolant, a small leak might not ever make it to the ground, but if you park the car hot in a garage and it does have even a small leak, you should be able to smell a slightly sweet odor. Just sniff around all parts of the car, i.e., around the engine area, around the radiator, and along where the hoses are that connect the two. The other possibility is that you have some air pockets already in your cooling system and as you drive it, these pockets are gradually pushed out and being replaced by what is in the reservoir.

You can have the radiator cap pressure tested - if it fails to meet its rating, you can boil off some coolant but you'd tend to see some evidence of this right around the neck of the radiator where the cap is - there would some crust from dried coolant. If nothing else, you can always just replace it for peace of mind.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts