Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So… anybody have this happen? I'm driving around the city, so it's stop-n-go every block. At random (and rarely), the gas pedal does not a thing. It's still in Drive, but the engine remains at idle no matter how much you push the pedal. Since it's drive-by-wire, it's not mechanically connected. Computer problem or sensor problem. After this last episode (twice in five minutes, including blocking a city bus from a right turn), I just drove to the dealership and dropped it off. Once it happens, you have to creep out of the way at idle (and hope you're not facing uphill here in San Francisco) and then turn it off, remove the key(?) and wait one second, then back on again.

So, the dealer's had it for a week now and it's still a mystery. I have an aftermarket MDC cruise control that's currently being disconnected to eliminate as a suspect, but I've had problems with this car before. Last year, I had to convince the dealer that the car would shut off (engine, electrics - everything) if you used the stereo. Yes, if you changed the stereo source or [more commonly] dragged the GPS map then the car would just shut off - when driving. I had to convince them that I wasn't crazy. Well, they finally got it to happen and replaced some computers. Now, almost a year later, I get this similar failure.

Has this happened to anybody? This is a major safety issue. (2013 Passion coupe, 29k)
The dealership has been good (as usual) but they just can't reproduce it yet. It comes in batches, so I'm not surprised (I have the magic touch a.k.a. bad luck.)

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
I know that sometimes when you're pulling out into traffic in 1st and realize you need to dog it to avoid impeding oncoming traffic, and as a result floor it, at the worst moment, it will sit there like it's brain dead for a few [painfully long] moments.

Is that what you're talking about?

If so, sad to say, that's normal. :-(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know what you're talking about, NCC1701 (and that angers me greatly) but this is full-on failure: The car will not give it more gas - you are stuck at idle until you shutdown and reboot. It's a car that's great for parking in the city, but not driving in the city. Too many times it has no oomph when it needs it (opportunities end quickly) and it has some giant pedestrian blind spots (A pillars, rear view mirror). They finally put a correct transmission in the new one and I don't think I'll be revisiting this brand but I'll definitely drive the new stick shift.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
If the computer identifies your driving as "strange or erratic" it may shut off the power but leave the engine running. It happened to us when I was driving 1 mile an hour for 10 minutes while panicking on Skyline Drive near Canon Colorado. The manual said to turn the engine off and wait 30 seconds. We did and all returned to normal. Only time it has happened.

Also the very last time you will find me on that stretch of road. (600 foot sheer drop offs on both sides of the one lane and one direction road)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I know that sometimes when you're pulling out into traffic in 1st and realize you need to dog it to avoid impeding oncoming traffic, and as a result floor it, at the worst moment, it will sit there like it's brain dead for a few [painfully long] moments.

Is that what you're talking about?

If so, sad to say, that's normal. :-(
LOL. had it all on my very first experience test driving the (Euro 08) Smart when they were first introduced to USA.

I rolled out of the Penske dealership in the demo car, after first testing the take off power in the parking lot. It had plenty.

Out the drive way into the front of fast moving Telegraph road traffic, but just at that moment it up-shifted, and left me dangling, when I tried to force a downshift, the damn thing went "Dead in The Water"... Blaring horns followed. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
"Dead in the water" onto "Can't Drive 55" Telegraph Road, bet that caused a certain body part to pucker...

How long were you in therapy?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I retrieved my car from the dealer a bit ago. I'm going to remove the aftermarket cruise control and put everything back to factory. They weren't able to reproduce it and got nothing from any of the logs. Also, his is a new problem, so if it thinks this is "erratic" driving, then it's retarded. It's not frequent, but it does happen in batches. I'm confident I'll get it to happen again - just as it's the most dangerous.

They did tell me they're getting a 2016 manual transmission in sometime next week(ish) and I could go test drive it, so there's that. Not in the market yet, but it would be fun to compare!

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
MDC CC slip fit connector in the footwell can create this rather scary situation.

Threads have been written and from personal experience, after numerous R&R exercises proved futile I moved on to the Area451.

Never looked back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts